Prunus mahaleb

Estonio

Mame
Reaction score
I have repotted it in and it gave flowers and now has some fruits.. Its vigorously growing... But I'm not yet very sure with the design.
I will let grow the new apex to help with closing the big upper cut.. For the rest still wondering..

After repotting and having worked the wood of the upper cut
20190327_190235.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
It's growing strong! I don't really see them here in N.America, but I like all that I have seen from Europe.
Actually Prunus mahaleb is frequently used as grafting understock for commercial culinary sweet and sour cherry propagation. You never see it offered to retail market, as fruit is not as tasty, and it flowers are not quite as spectacular other flowering cherries available in the USA. But it's disease resistance is good, and it tolerates a wide range of soils. Cut off or kill off the scion part of a sweet cherry and odds are fair your understock is P. mahaleb.

Estonio

Mame
Reaction score
I eliminates some old branches couple of week back and removed some low new branches bad positioned. I'm trying to make the tree to generete new low branches as I need a first branch on the left... All branches are so far too high.. Let's see how it goes...

Note: there are some of those small cherries growing after the blossom20190531_140318.jpg

Estonio

Mame
Reaction score
O
Actually Prunus mahaleb is frequently used as grafting understock for commercial culinary sweet and sour cherry propagation. You never see it offered to retail market, as fruit is not as tasty, and it flowers are not quite as spectacular other flowering cherries available in the USA. But it's disease resistance is good, and it tolerates a wide range of soils. Cut off or kill off the scion part of a sweet cherry and odds are fair your understock is P. mahaleb.
It's the same in Europe. They grow wild but of course is mainly used as grafting under stock. Not many people use it as bonsai because as you say we also have some other varieties with bigger and more spectacular flowers. It doesn't heal well from cuts and instead it creates dead wood. People who use this vsriaty for bonsai, do it mainly to enjoy the interesting dead wood. Mine doesn't have this characteristic yet developed :)

electronfusion

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Is it grafted? It looks like there are two very different bark textures. I have two sweet cherry trees I plan to air layer next year that I know have P. muhaleb as their rootstock, and the rootstock has bark like the lower half of your tree. The upper half looks like what I would expect from sweet cherries or ornamental flowering cherries. But then the flowers on the top look like photos I've seen of P. muhaleb. So idk. I'm no expert, just very curious.

Estonio

Mame
Reaction score
Is it grafted? It looks like there are two very different bark textures. I have two sweet cherry trees I plan to air layer next year that I know have P. muhaleb as their rootstock, and the rootstock has bark like the lower half of your tree. The upper half looks like what I would expect from sweet cherries or ornamental flowering cherries. But then the flowers on the top look like photos I've seen of P. muhaleb. So idk. I'm no expert, just very curious.
Hello,

It's not grafted. I believe the upper part will get similar to lower part with some time

Estonio

Mame
Reaction score
Current status
20191209_211211.jpg

My plan:
T means branch at the back. Its not very viable but first T branch is between 1st and 2nd and second T is above the second branch. I need to extend those branches towards the right part of the tree.

20191209_213316.jpg

Top Bottom