Prunus Mume 07/08 to present progression

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ume or Maeshil

Does anyone know if an Ume is the same as what the Koreans call Maeshil? I have spent some time in Japan, but I was Korean FAO in the Army and spent a total of three years there so I am more familiar with their terms. Maeshil is a green hard plum (actually an apricot) that is pickled or used in tea. Not a real eating fruit. Is Ume the same thing? If so I have a great source for some trees.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Does anyone know if an Ume is the same as what the Koreans call Maeshil? I have spent some time in Japan, but I was Korean FAO in the Army and spent a total of three years there so I am more familiar with their terms. Maeshil is a green hard plum (actually an apricot) that is pickled or used in tea. Not a real eating fruit. Is Ume the same thing? If so I have a great source for some trees.

According to wikipedia the names section it is called Maeshil in Korean. So yes, it's the same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_mume

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
According to wikipedia the names section it is called Maeshil in Korean. So yes, it's the same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_mume

Thanks. Saw that, just wanted to confirm with a live person. Now, there is a Korean Nursery near Tacoma that has about 20 or so of these, full sized. Trunks are about 1" at the base. She sells them for $35. Worth trying?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks. Saw that, just wanted to confirm with a live person. Now, there is a Korean Nursery near Tacoma that has about 20 or so of these, full sized. Trunks are about 1" at the base. She sells them for $35. Worth trying?

That's a good price for uncommon material.

Coming along nicely Yenling!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I got an ume this year! it's blooming all over the place and it's a deep red. When you cut back you do that in winter? I'm growing mine out but if I understand this you can trunk chop in spring like most other tree's and then you prune all the branches in winter(when your at this stage).

Last edited:

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That's a good price for uncommon material.

Thanks Brian: Guess I know where I am going on my lunch break. It's a 4 foot tree. Don't want to just lob it off. Would you recommend that I try an air layer about 12" off of the ground so I can get a couple of trees out of it?

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Thanks Brian: Guess I know where I am going on my lunch break. It's a 4 foot tree. Don't want to just lob it off. Would you recommend that I try an air layer about 12" off of the ground so I can get a couple of trees out of it?

Yeah you could so that- only thing is if the bottom part doesn't put any buds(if there no branches below the layer) you could lose it and only have one tree anyway. I don't air layer often so I could be wrong on this.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Don't bother layering it; pretty sure the success rate is around 0. Do make sure you're not chopping into a grafted tree, and wait until the tree is actively growing to chop it low.
sorry for the hijack Yenling...

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Yenling, thanks for sharing. Nice progression. ;)

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really nice progression! Thanks for sharing. I've got an ume that is in the ground thickening, but not ready for a chop yet. I read somewhere that they don't always respond well to chops, perhaps that is for the older specimens? Mine is probably about 4-5 years old (seedling) at this point.

Chris

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hijack

Yes. Sorry about that. Next time I get off track I will just start a new thread,..

V/R

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Yes. Sorry about that. Next time I get off track I will just start a new thread,..

V/R

No Worries at all! Thank you and Brian for the replies, I really appreciate it! Post some pics of the Ume you find. Yes like Brian said Ume are very tough to air layer. Although I think the younger a tree is the more chance at success you might have. George Muranaka has probably air layered more than a hundred black pines with success. However, they were all first year growth. Probably still difficult. It might be much easier to start from cutting. I just transplanted a few myself. Pretty easy to take from cuttings.

image_zpsac23e440.jpg

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
No Worries at all! Thank you and Brian for the replies, I really appreciate it! Post some pics of the Ume you find. Yes like Brian said Ume are very tough to air layer. Although I think the younger a tree is the more chance at success you might have. George Muranaka has probably air layered more than a hundred black pines with success. However, they were all first year growth. Probably still difficult. It might be much easier to start from cutting. I just transplanted a few myself. Pretty easy to take from cuttings.

image_zpsac23e440.jpg

whats ur process for taking cutting from ume? I'd like to do that this year with my ume.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
whats ur process for taking cutting from ume? I'd like to do that this year with my ume.
Please do share, when, what medium and how big?
I have had exactly 0 cuttings take, out of easily 50 attempts.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Sorry, maybe it's not so easy to take from cuttings. I kind of just threw that line out there without thinking through it-I'm not an expert but I've had success over the last couple years. Last year I just used small akadama, pumice and lava, then put chopped New Zealand Moss on the soil surface to keep the top layer of the soil moist. However I'm trying a mix of perlite and sand this year after seeing friends with good success. I take them in late winter or early spring. I had success with small first year green growth, I used 1% white powder rooting hormone and did not use any type of tent or greenhouse. Just put them in full sun. The year before I tried some under a greenhouse and they got some type of fungus and died from too much moisture in the air. I have also tried a few different varieties of ume. I get the best success with trees that are very vigorous growers. I'm fortunate to live down the street from Muranaka Bonsai, because George has a few different type of Ume. He has a few trees that were both planted at the same time about 25 years ago in the ground. One of these trees is like 4 times larger than the others, flowers profusely and does not get much die back. That is the tree I've had the best success with cuttings from. If you are not having success, maybe try and find a very hardy grower and take cuttings from that. Another thing is that some of my cuttings lost their leaves once and I figured they died, however a waited a while longer and new buds emerged. Take a whole bunch in a large pot. Or you might try and find somewhere that grows Ume from cuttings and then transplant them after the first year. Good luck!

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So,..as fate would have it, the nursery is on vacation until the 15th. However, they are getting a new shipment of Ume in on the 24th. I'll be standing in line.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry, maybe it's not so easy to take from cuttings. I kind of just threw that line out there without thinking through it-I'm not an expert but I've had success over the last couple years. Last year I just used small akadama, pumice and lava, then put chopped New Zealand Moss on the soil surface to keep the top layer of the soil moist. However I'm trying a mix of perlite and sand this year after seeing friends with good success. I take them in late winter or early spring. I had success with small first year green growth, I used 1% white powder rooting hormone and did not use any type of tent or greenhouse. Just put them in full sun. The year before I tried some under a greenhouse and they got some type of fungus and died from too much moisture in the air. I have also tried a few different varieties of ume. I get the best success with trees that are very vigorous growers. I'm fortunate to live down the street from Muranaka Bonsai, because George has a few different type of Ume. He has a few trees that were both planted at the same time about 25 years ago in the ground. One of these trees is like 4 times larger than the others, flowers profusely and does not get much die back. That is the tree I've had the best success with cuttings from. If you are not having success, maybe try and find a very hardy grower and take cuttings from that. Another thing is that some of my cuttings lost their leaves once and I figured they died, however a waited a while longer and new buds emerged. Take a whole bunch in a large pot. Or you might try and find somewhere that grows Ume from cuttings and then transplant them after the first year. Good luck!

Great advice!!! Thank you!

D

Deleted member 21616

@yenling83 @Beng you appear to be among the few who have succeeded with cuttings on this forum (being here: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/air-layering.10332/)

any new advice since 2015 and 2013 respectively?

especially curious about the timing - do you use young flexible shoots, or wait till they 'snap'?

how many leaves do you leave on each cutting?

Are you using root hormone with anti-fungal in it, or adding anti-fungal later?

i'm going to document my process meticulously and share it - i've been reading posts back since 2013, lots of inquiries about prunus mume cuttings on the forum, but very little documentation or success! o_O

Top Bottom