Prunus mume-beni-chi-dori

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi all,

This weekend I visited a tree nursery where the owner is specialized in rather exceptional trees. A prunus mume was on my wish list for quite a few time. I found this vigorous mume beni-chi-dori for 50$, which has served there for quite a few years as mother tree. I was rather attracted to the movement and taper at the base of the tree, which promises a nice bonsai tree - after some hard work.

My first step would be to to an urgent uppot, since the tree is so high that it tends to fall over, causing a rsik of damaging the tree. That was also the advice of the former owner.

The analysis of the possible nebari will be postponed to a future date. Real repot is scheduled for late winter, early spring.

I have a few questions:

- how old would this tree be?
- any suggestions on ideal soil composition?
- can u guys distinguish a graft ?
- is it now a good time to try to take cuttings? What would be the correct way to handle that?
- where would you make the trunk chop? What would be a good time to execute this chop?
- any suggestions for future styling?

IMG_20220618_141426.jpgIMG_20220618_132047.jpgIMG_20220618_132058.jpg

My first idea was to make the chops here, but I am not so sure. The huge branch of the left is causing a rather ugly swelling. Looking forward to suggestions of the expert panel present here. Thanks in advance.

cuts mume.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would completely remove the branch on the left before it takes over.

Top Bottom