prunus mume graft on cherry rootstock

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Not much info available as cherry is rarely used as a rot stock except for cherries as they are generally not as vigorous or long lived as other prunus.
I can't find much on p. mume compatibility either.
In theory species within a genus should be able to graft but there's lots of info on incompatibility in the prunus family so not quite as straightforward.

Probably worth trying some as an experiment if you have the wood and stocks available.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not much info available as cherry is rarely used as a rot stock except for cherries as they are generally not as vigorous or long lived as other prunus.
I can't find much on p. mume compatibility either.
In theory species within a genus should be able to graft but there's lots of info on incompatibility in the prunus family so not quite as straightforward.

Probably worth trying some as an experiment if you have the wood and stocks available.
thank you,I'll give it a try.
I know traditionally the rootstock for ume grafting is peach (not good long term) or apricot, but I happen to have a small cherry tree that I don't want to keep, and ume that I want to propagate.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Sounds like Prunus cerasifera is the generally preferred root-stock, Peach root-stock can also be used but introduces a susceptibility to Peach Borers. Looking at images I would say cerasifera has bark the most resembling mume bark, but there are a multitude of other Prunus candidates that could have promise for that task. Mahaleb cherry also takes on quite charactered bark in advance age, but isn't very common stateside. Prunus virginana grows with a lot of vigor but sends out suckers like its a job and isn't as convincing a match for bark.

Top Bottom