Prunus "Mume" - Japanese Apricot

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Early February 2016 - repotting and removing large root. 2015 was difficult for this tree; warm winter with little rain. Very hot and long summer, pushed weak growth so work was deferred until now. photo 5.JPG photo 1.JPG photo 3.JPG
February 29th, 2016 - leafs opening.
_MG_0917.JPG _MG_0918.JPG

Last edited:

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
10042016-1.JPG 10042016-2.JPG
Picture taken October 4th 2016 - great response to repotting, lots of vigorous growth through spring of 2016; roots almost fill the container now. Branches are loaded with flower buds. Looks like I'll be able to layer the top this spring, around April 2017.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice. Can't wait for mine to pop buds. I am still some 8 week away I think.
Do we have a 'Show off your mumes' thread?

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Love the species, I'm interested to see what you do with this. I wouldn't know where to start myself

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice. @aframe , do you know the cultivar name? This is my favorite flower colour, my dream cultivar is 'Beni-Chidori', very similar to yours.

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Love the species, I'm interested to see what you do with this. I wouldn't know where to start myself
Only thing I've decided is to remove the top. The trunk doesn't have nice, natural movement down low. Using any of the lowest branches as a new leader will create a sharp angle, and I don't want straight trunk sections above and below a sharp bend.

Reactions: GGB

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Quite lovely. Still waiting on mine... So this is nice to see!

Top Bottom