Prunus Mume - Repot

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Currently working on a Prunus Mume repot.

Tree was in an Anderson flat in ground soil for quite some time, this is the first Spring with me.

With the muck out of the way, I'm looking at two substantial roots that are quite long, but w/ most of the feeder mass at the tip.

Main question is: how aggressive can one be with root reduction on Mume?

IMG_0525.jpgIMG_0526.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks like you’d have a lot of fine roots left if you removed the two big ones. If the tree is healthy, I would remove one big root, reduce the other big root and trim nothing else. Next year, I’d remove the one you reduced this year.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looks like you’d have a lot of fine roots left if you removed the two big ones. If the tree is healthy, I would remove one big root, reduce the other big root and trim nothing else. Next year, I’d remove the one you reduced this year.
Thanks Brian. Lot more feeder roots were apparent after a good rinse.

I reduced, kept all other rootwork extremely light, and buried nice and deep.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks Brian. Lot more feeder roots were apparent after a good rinse.

I reduced, kept all other rootwork extremely light, and buried nice and deep.
Should be fine, best of luck with it. Let’s see a shot of the whole tree sometime!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Attaching a few pictures - sun not cooperating fully today.

mume.jpgmume2.jpgmume3.jpgmume4.jpg

The second picture is my current rough view of a front. I wasn't preoccupied with a front during this repot, but I did adjust the tree's planting angle.

I'm fairly certain the low branches there are dead. Brian - this is main reason why I've been so interested in your mume thread with the amazing carving work.

The third picture angle also has some allure to it.

Happy to take any ideas or thoughts. Looking forward to just letting this one grow this spring.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
3rd might be good, keep in mind, the trunk, particularly the upper third should come toward the viewer. "Bow to the Viewer" is a phrase occasionally used. Not a hard and fast rule, but it is a convention that helps create the illusion of a taller tree, it forces a sense of perspective.

At the next repot, tilt the trunk a little forward to make #3 the front.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This tree did really well with repot and growth this year. I've been following BVF calendar.

Have noticed a couple of spots on the trunk where white stuff pushes through the bark.

I have been cleaning out with small blade. Consistency is fluffy.

Does this look familiar to anyone?

I'd assume insect related, but haven't seen this on any other tree.

Attachments

• Trunk spot.jpg
    Trunk spot.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 92
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Can't rule out mushroom - have decent environment for those here. I'll get some better pictures of the gunk.

Also will put up some pictures of this year's growth.

I let this grow wild after the Spring cutback. Perplexed on direction vs. mildly excited about flowers.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Upon further inspection, it is very mushroom-like.

Would this be a diluted alcohol situation?

The bottom of the tree has some deadwood from ages ago chops - and some old bark where this seems to be becoming a thing.

I haven't done much work on the deadwood due to the repot. It's wired in well, but didn't want to introduce wiggle.

IMG-1450.jpg

IMG-1451.jpg

IMG-1452.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Couple update pictures from today with leaves out and flowers gone. Really strong flowering year.

I've left this tree to pretty much grow wild outside a couple branches that snapped during high wind season.

IMG_2169.JPG

IMG_2170.JPG

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Really nice year for flowers.

Attachments

• Flowers 2 2023.jpeg
    Flowers 2 2023.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 18
  • Flowers 3 2023.jpeg
    Flowers 3 2023.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Flowers 2023.jpeg
    Flowers 2023.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 33
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Have learned a lot on these forums about Mume and how to care for them thru seasons. Have focused on getting that right over the last two years primarily.

From a design perspective - it's come along slowly, partially not to push the tree too hard - and partially because it's not super clear yet.

Main thing I worked on over the last year outside that was addressing this issue - which was indeed mushrooms. It was not a surface level issue. 😅

Trunk spot.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Behind this wee-mushroom was a (massive) deep layer of uber-soft deadwood. All the hollowing was done with manual tools (winter time) and avoided opening live vein.

I do believe the soft wood travels up the truck a little bit more, but I didn't want to push up further as it would require a bit of live wood opening.

Carve 2023.jpeg

There's also a new bud pretty far down on the trunk I'm excited about. Hoping it pulls through:
Bud 2023.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here's full tree. Also note I removed a large deadwood stubs on the left side to recontour. Hoping to see some buds there down the line.

Front 2023.jpeg

There are still a bunch more structural issues on this tree (deadwood on other side; big branch junctions), but next step will be wiring new growth and letting this run all year.

Top Bottom