Prunus mume starterplant

Reaction score
Is it clear where the live part is? I saw some at the trophy, most of them had big deadwood sections. Yours is a beauty for sure.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Interesting material with some potential. Let’s see some shots of all sides. What’s it look like rotated about 180 degrees?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I'll do better. I will clean up the soil and lift the nebari from below the muck.
WOuld it be too early to repot? Can one repot mume as soon as they are flowering?
In my experience, the tree is beginning to break dormancy at flowering and leaf buds start to move within 4-6 weeks of the flower show. Personally, I'd wait for the leaf buds to swell before re-potting, but you could probably do it now.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
In my experience, the tree is beginning to break dormancy at flowering and leaf buds start to move within 4-6 weeks of the flower show. Personally, I'd wait for the leaf buds to swell before re-potting, but you could probably do it now.
Agree. My Ume is among the last trees to start growing here, and I wait unti the buds swell to repot.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So.. When I lifted it from the pot yesterday to clean the surface, the rootball did not show any sign of healthy roots. Which could be explaining all the dead little branches on this. 80% of the roots were muck, dead. The pot was probably on the small side for good root development, with the nebari just nog reaching the sides of the pot. So I looked at the plant, saw the buds all had started to push and decided to do a proper repot. The next 2 weeks should see us in 50-ies during the day.THis was the best pot I had laying around, giving it a bit more rootspace and giving me a year to find a proper pot for it. This year I will let it push growth, removing the inner leaves to encourage leafbud formation, and cut back once in mid-spring. See whether this can do what my other mume does, backbudding.

1550471404299.png
1550471432330.png
1550471460754.png

seems to be a few of these Ume knocking about, this is one in my local nursery
Out of interest, what did the nursery ask for it?

Top Bottom