Prunus mume stock from Evergreen Gardenworks

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here is an ume I bought from Brent in a 1-gal can in January 2010. It was planted deep, and I potted it higher when I transplanted it to that terra cotta pot (bottom of the photo) a couple months later, somewhere around a 1/2" thick trunk.
IMG_1296.JPG

The tree after 4 seasons in the ground. The tag is good for reference. Can't believe its still with the tree!
IMG_1297.JPG

The chop was made in May '13. The trunk has good movement and taper, but it's hard to get that to show up in a photo. I wanted to see how it responded, and since it budded again at the trunk...
IMG_1298.JPG
In summer 2014, I chopped it again:
IMG_6775.JPG

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
In 2015 I dug it up and put it in an Anderson Flat:
DSCF7635.JPG
And let it grow basically wild for the next 2 years. It got to about 8' tall:
6174564016_IMG_7907.JPG
And after a good haircut:
6174564016_IMG_7909.JPG 6174564016_IMG_7910.JPG 6174564016_IMG_7911.JPG
It's back to 10" tall, and sporting a 4" base. Check back in another 2 years!

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Looking good so far keep us informed.

I think i will make my next purchase a japanese apricot.
Its just hard to find one i like for the money asked for them here in the uk.
They either have poor branching or nasty scars and not much character but they still carry a hefty price tag.
But i will keep looking.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a great job of creating a flowing taper on a developing piece of ground grown material. Giving us plebian screw-jobs a well documented history of said process....:):):)

Mr. Hyde sez' you been.....

;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Very nice indeed - I need more of these in my life as there my favy species, so much so that my right arm is covered in a mume sleeve tattoo. This one is going to be nice

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Coming along nicely. I will be following closely as i have two on a very similar path, maybe a year or two behind.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
is it 2019 yet?
Cool movement you have given to this one. The stick in the pot seemed not so good.

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Awesome ume! Is it ok to cut back all the summer's growth now? I was waiting for dormancy to cut my 2yo ume back. My thinking being it is still storing energy for the spring. Of course mine is much smaller than yours so my effort is in trunk development.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We're most of these chops, chops back to existing shoots. At least the first chop looked like it was chopped back to a bare trunk.

I just got mine as a garden tree and was growing to plant in ground for a few yrs to thicken. Just wondering if I need to graft on some foliage lower on trunk the year before I chop and remove from ground.

Also sounds like early summer is the best time to trunk chop one of these as long as they are very heathy.

I understand you cannot trunk chop an non heathy ume down to a stump and expect back bids.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
We're most of these chops, chops back to existing shoots. At least the first chop looked like it was chopped back to a bare trunk.

I just got mine as a garden tree and was growing to plant in ground for a few yrs to thicken. Just wondering if I need to graft on some foliage lower on trunk the year before I chop and remove from ground.

Also sounds like early summer is the best time to trunk chop one of these as long as they are very heathy.

I understand you cannot trunk chop an non heathy ume down to a stump and expect back bids.
You should not chop any unhealthy tree. The rest of your questions are all answered in this thread.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Top Bottom