Prunus Mume trees are starting to bloom

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Some more are getting there...
Omoi No Mama: DSC_0001.jpg Fuji Botan Shidare: DSC_0002.jpg Alphandii: DSC_0003.jpg

Here are photos of 2 winter flowering plantrs:
Winter Jasimne (Jasminum nudiflorum): DSC_0004.jpg This one I don't remember exactly but probably Sycoparrotia Semidecidua: DSC_0228.jpg

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here's some more:

One of these is Rosea Plena, other I don't know (Alphandii maybe): View attachment 290012 View attachment 290013 Another Beni Chi dori: View attachment 290014 Fuji Botan Shidare: View attachment 290016 Peggy Clarke: View attachment 290017

And small Kojo No Mai (Prunus Incisa): View attachment 290015
Nice! is the hazard of late frosts over in your area? How do you manage late frosts for flowering trees?

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Nice! is the hazard of late frosts over in your area? How do you manage late frosts for flowering trees?
Well actually there is. Right now it is 20 degrees Celcius - on the sun you can walk in shorts only. In the night it gets to about 10 or 8. Pretty hot for this time of year. But the weather forecast just announced quite steep drop in temperatures starting from tomorrow until Tuesday or so. In the night it might drop to -3 or -4 which might be dangerous. Umes are known for flowering during winter when there is even some snow left so I guess these should be fine. But there are other trees that started to push buds.
I do not try to manage it in any way. What can I do? Wine growers burn some special candles / torches in an attempt to prevent late frosts in April. I do not have any. I reside in one of the warmest parts of Slovakia and also my garden is enclosed. I will be hoping it won't be that bad. Also the national weather forecast is not really reliable for longer term forecasts. Yesterday the forecasted drop was even more dramatic. So tomorrow it might be just OK.

I add picture of Beni Chi Dori Ume growing in my garden. All the other big trees (mostly Asian pears, some peaches, plums, diospyros, gingko, Szechuan pepper) are only starting to push buds but this one is already blooming for almost a month:  tree.JPG

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
Very nice! I love ume - mine bloomed then got frosted :(

Top Bottom