Prunus mume

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Thinking about breaking my no more trees for 2019 decision. Found a nice Japanese Apricot for a reasonable price and considering it. What considerations are necessary for growing one in zone 7, specifically Long Island? I overwinter all my trees in a very protected spot outside and none of missed a beat (Dogwood, Dawn Redwoods, Bald Cypress, Cedar, ect.) but not too familiar with this one.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If you can keep bald cypress where you live, I would think there should be no problem with Prunus Mume...

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm not far from you and the only issue with Ume are that late season freezes can destroy the flower buds. I've had trees growing out in the ground produce tons of flower buds only to have them destroyed by a late freeze.

It is what it is when simply growing out because they bounce back just fine, but anything in a pot I would protect a little better.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thinking about breaking my no more trees for 2019 decision. Found a nice Japanese Apricot for a reasonable price and considering it. What considerations are necessary for growing one in zone 7, specifically Long Island? I overwinter all my trees in a very protected spot outside and none of missed a beat (Dogwood, Dawn Redwoods, Bald Cypress, Cedar, ect.) but not too familiar with this one.
Special considerations for growing include prevention of fungal issues for Ume. More important in humid climates, cool wet spring or wet cool fall situations. Preventative measures are important if this applies to your location.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Certain cultivars are hardier than others, this may be an important consideration. Perhaps inquire when purchasing! The seller may have some good suggestions. There is also good information on Brent Walston's site. Evergreen Gardenworks

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm not far from you and the only issue with Ume are that late season freezes can destroy the flower buds. I've had trees growing out in the ground produce tons of flower buds only to have them destroyed by a late freeze.

It is what it is when simply growing out because they bounce back just fine, but anything in a pot I would protect a little better.

Fruit growers in these areas set up misting systems to prevent this. The thin layer of ice that forms on the buds (and flowers and developing fruits) due to the misting, is enough to keep them from freezing. I'm not sure if you're looking for a solution to the problem, but here you go.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Fruit growers in these areas set up misting systems to prevent this. The thin layer of ice that forms on the buds (and flowers and developing fruits) due to the misting, is enough to keep them from freezing.

That's what fruit growers in the south do here too for apricot and peach-trees. But it can protect the trees only if the temps dont fall below -2°, -3° C (28.4 F). If the temperatures get lower, no fruit.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I’m going to bump this because the grower isn’t very communicative.

anyone grow the straight species? He has an ungrafted straight Prunus mume I like the looks of but wondering how they compare to cultivars, especially in terms of flowering.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I’m going to bump this because the grower isn’t very communicative.

anyone grow the straight species? He has an ungrafted straight Prunus mume I like the looks of but wondering how they compare to cultivars, especially in terms of flowering.
Yes...one of my favorite trees, all year around, but especially in January when it’s blooming and everything else is sleeping.
679FE8EA-AADA-487A-AC73-3C5C937289F1.jpeg

arreaux

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
"Grafting" some thing I haven't tried.... Yep Brown.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B

When does yours typically flower?

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Got the tree, will post pics soon. Unfortunately the pot was broken in transit so I slip pot it as carefully as I could into a new pot. Really excited on this tree, but nervous about the impromptu re-pot.

Top Bottom