Prunus Mume

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks like the ume may flower this year. I worked on it with Peter in April, let it grow out all spring, then wired it mid-summer. After the leaves fell, the buds just kept swelling; the thing just doesn't go dormant. The flower buds are the swelling buds, flanking the smaller leaf buds.

After it blooms, all those green, rangy canes will be cut back to 1-2 nodes and then it will be repotted. More if it blooms!

SAM_1393.jpg SAM_1397.jpg SAM_1398.jpg SAM_1399.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What time of the year will this bloom for you in Birmingham? Looks like it'll be awesome.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice and big...I like it. My Ume has been flowering since Thanksgiving...2 months earlier then the previous two years.
Sweet! Let's see a photo...
I suspect this one is 6-8 weeks away from blooming. It's a white, single-bloom variety.

reddog

Mame
Reaction score
Who is Peter?
Looks like the ume may flower this year. I worked on it with Peter in April, let it grow out all spring, then wired it mid-summer. After the leaves fell, the buds just kept swelling; the thing just doesn't go dormant. The flower buds are the swelling buds, flanking the smaller leaf buds.

After it blooms, all those green, rangy canes will be cut back to 1-2 nodes and then it will be repotted. More if it blooms!

View attachment 19619 View attachment 19620 View attachment 19621 View attachment 19622

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice shots of the buds, Brian. You'll know for sure you have something going when the buds swell to white balls about 5/16" of an inch across, or bigger. Several flowers-to-be are like that on my ume right now. It's hard to wait until they open completely, but it's really worth it. It's nice to see you really anticipating these beautiful flowers.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You guys are REALLY making me jealous as mine aren't blooming yet!!! but I've only had them a year or two and one was just a stump :p

its beautiful Brian.... I look forward to the bloom shots (excellent taste of choosing the white singles I personally think they are the most elegant)

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice shots of the buds, Brian. You'll know for sure you have something going when the buds swell to white balls about 5/16" of an inch across, or bigger. Several flowers-to-be are like that on my ume right now. It's hard to wait until they open completely, but it's really worth it. It's nice to see you really anticipating these beautiful flowers.

it just keeps getting closer and closer. This morning, I added a posting showing the work from this year here. I'll update this thread as well with photos as it blooms. Shouldn't be too much longer now!
SAM_1606.jpg

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hi Brian, I just looked over your blog on this tree, very nice progression.

I have an Ume that I got at a grafting workshop in 2000. It has pink flowers but the lowest branch was grafted with a white flowering scion. I then put it in the ground & let it grow with minimal pruning for ten years and lifted it to a training pot last year. I did some shapeing & wireing during the early growing season & it is starting to look nice. I am glad to see that they take shari & jinning well, I plan to do some of this in the next season and will follow the tips from your blog.

My Ume is covered with buds too, I will get a photo to share when it comes into bloom.

Thanks for shareing your experience with the rest of us,

Bob O

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hi Brian, I just looked over your blog on this tree, very nice progression.

I have an Ume that I got at a grafting workshop in 2000. It has pink flowers but the lowest branch was grafted with a white flowering scion. I then put it in the ground & let it grow with minimal pruning for ten years and lifted it to a training pot last year. I did some shapeing & wireing during the early growing season & it is starting to look nice. I am glad to see that they take shari & jinning well, I plan to do some of this in the next season and will follow the tips from your blog.

My Ume is covered with buds too, I will get a photo to share when it comes into bloom.

Thanks for shareing your experience with the rest of us,

Bob O

Thanks, looking forward to photos. Did you graft over with white to replace pink, or vice-versa?

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Brian, I was reading your blog entry and it mentioned shriveling leaves in fall. Any chance that something similar happens to some satsukis? If not I'm afraid I have another dead or dying tree.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Brian, I was reading your blog entry and it mentioned shriveling leaves in fall. Any chance that something similar happens to some satsukis? If not I'm afraid I have another dead or dying tree.

If it's below freezing, Azaleas/Rhododendrons roll up like hanging cigars. If alive, they'll unfurl when it's above freezing. Completely unrelated response to what Ume does.

Top Bottom