Prunus Mume

Phillthy

Mame
Reaction score
Super nice! I have an ume that started to swell but it hasn’t swelled anymore and still no blooms. am I doing something wrong? I keep mine out of the wind and only water when the soil isn’t frozen

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Super nice! I have an ume that started to swell but it hasn’t swelled anymore and still no blooms. am I doing something wrong? I keep mine out of the wind and only water when the soil isn’t frozen
Hard to say without seeing it. Start a thread and post some pix. If you’re allowing it to freeze, it will halt the flower buds.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love the pot!

I keenly watch this one to see when it loses this undefineable oddness that will suddenly jump it to some unseen next level.
I think it's the angle of the bend..partly due to its full exposure...but looking at that nub now...it seems like that adds to what seems a sharp angle....

Is there no way to remove the nub and soften the outside curve?

Wondering if its more the dark pic than progress....but it is looking better!

I can't get over this very frustrating feeling with this tree...because in future vision age will help.....
But there is something ....
????? Something....
That seems could aha this instantly into something .....something.....

Maybe the pot is just too dope for it yet!

Sorce

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
First couple leaves removed from each shoot again this spring to encourage back-budding next spring. Now it will be allowed to grow freely for the next few weeks and get really wild-looking.
3C07E50D-CFD6-4871-858A-69FEF93BFA7D.jpeg

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So well balanced. How do you get it to be in this stage?
Here is the one I purchased recently. A lot of growths on the young branches but not much on smaller branches. Any advice on what to do now?
IMG_20180330_130137953.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
So well balanced. How do you get it to be in this stage?
Here is the one I purchased recently. A lot of growths on the young branches but not much on smaller branches. Any advice on what to do now?
When I was just starting to develop the branches, I wired them out, then pruned them back short in the late winter to the first leaf bud that was likely to be viable. If I couldn’t tell, I’d cut it back, leaving 2-3 buds, then reduce again if possible when they started growing.

In the spring of 2016, I started removing the first 2-3 leaves in April and then letting it grow out into May. The response of removing the first 2-3 leaves is the buds at the base of those removed leaves often differentiate into leaf buds. This keeps the growth closer to the trunk...and that’s the ongoing challenge with ume; keeping them from getting too leggy. The buds on the remaining canes usually have flower buds, and a leaf bud.

I photographed the same branches over the course of 3 growing seasons to demonstrate the result, but I haven’t gotten around to writing that post yet. For now, the photo below is worth the 1000 words above.
1642C792-F45E-4586-A1D7-73654D954557.jpeg

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice tree. I can't get that ramification on mine. I think I started with the wrong varieties and now have to start all over again.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
HA, my pomegranate did the same thing today. Its nice to see things happen within a day. Typically things are on months long scales.

Top Bottom