Prunus unknown

Newish in Oregon

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thought I'd start this thread to document this tree and get some advice. This tree started as a seedling in our woods in MA and was moved into a garden bed for 2-3 years. It survived shipping cross country to Portland, OR where it spent 3-4 years in the ground [but didn't get enough sun] and 2-3 years in a 5" x 5" nursery pot. Just potted it into the pond basket a few weeks ago. Until it flowered last year, we thought it was a slippery elm :rolleyes:. I guess it only has flowers on one branch due to fall pruning [tho I've only just started documenting its 'care']IMG_2272[1].JPGIMG_2273[1].JPGIMG_2274[1].JPGIMG_2275[1].JPGIMG_2276[1].JPG. Can't decide if I should just let it grow or start some pruning for better ramification. Also have trouble seeing a place for the dead trunk in any design. Certainly appreciate folks suggestions.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
No close up of the flowers but from this distance the flowers and bark do look like cherry of some sort.
I also can't see any place for the dead trunk so I'd cut it off and hope the trunk will heal over.
The straight section of trunk will also need some thinking about.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice Serotina!! (or maybe Maritima)

Those (Black Cherry) are EVERYWHERE here..

Shibui's advice, as always, is spot on...

I just wanted to spraypaint my "HorseloverFat was here", here.

🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I was GOING to say that it MAY struggle in Oregon..

But I discovered, after reading a bit more, that they are hardy USDA 3-9.. That's INCREDIBLE... that's MOST of mainland North America.

Newish in Oregon

Yamadori
Reaction score
No close up of the flowers but from this distance the flowers and bark do look like cherry of some sort.
I also can't see any place for the dead trunk so I'd cut it off and hope the trunk will heal over.
The straight section of trunk will also need some thinking about.
Here are a couple of flower pictures. Thanks for the guidance on removing the dead trunk. Thoughts on letting it grow vs working on ramification?

Attachments

• IMG_2282[1].JPG
    IMG_2282[1].JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2283[1].JPG
    IMG_2283[1].JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 27

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I don't know the Nort American prunus species well enough to provide positive ID but those flowers look like classic cherry flower clusters with the long stems and drooping habit.

Thoughts on letting it grow vs working on ramification?
Unfortunately I'm not big on cherry as bonsai so can't offer good experienced advice.
In general, pruning to promote ramification slows trunk thickening but does improve the final outcome. I guess it depend whether you want quick or good.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Prunus Maritima-CB33385C-A1E3-450E-9B87-BCBA618A36E2.png
Prunus Serotina -4BD3E396-EE66-4210-8C5A-F8DB39409FB9.png
Wild Plum.. Prunus Americana.. I think this is right.
AD0426EB-4AD6-4FB9-B706-B251F04E0109.png

Top Bottom