PSA: Run your hose first in the hot weather

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
And also, just because running a hose before using it helps you prevent contracting legionella. Is the English term legionaires disease? Anyway, don't breathe the fog!

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And also, just because running a hose before using it helps you prevent contracting legionella. Is the English term legionaires disease? Anyway, don't breathe the fog!

The bacteria legionella causes Legionnaire's disease. I've never heard of anyone getting that from a hose though.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That's usually because the symptoms take a while to develop and the original source is hard to trace. Healthy people have less chance of being affected.
At work we have a rotating legionella duty; meaning we run for 10 mins, every eye washing station, every fire hose, every emergency shower and everything that holds water for longer than 7 days.

I do have to emphazise that our tapwater is nearly free of chlorine and other bug-killing materials, thus giving bacteria a chance to grow. I know that's not the case in a lot of places.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As the weather gets warmer and warmer (98F in North Carolina today), make sure to run your hose for a minute before watering. The water can get up to 140F in the hot sun and cause severe scalding injuries to persons and likely damage to fragile plants.

Lars

It sounds silly to a lot of people but I run those hose until it is cold daily in the Spring and Summer. It really does not to be more then 60F outside but a hose sitting in full sun sure does get hot. Some neighbors think it is odd but hey they think I am anyway :p

I do have to emphazise that our tapwater is nearly free of chlorine and other bug-killing materials, thus giving bacteria a chance to grow. I know that's not the case in a lot of places.

Here the water system is monitored by a Licensed Operator that makes certain the safe chemical levels are maintained. The local Government sends us a yearly report so we know all is safe. Funny part is we have a whole house filter anyways to reduce particles and when I change it out I let the water run unfiltered for an hour or so allowing the chemicals to clean the pipes in the system. o_O

Grimmy

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As a plumber in the netherlands legoinella is something i have to take in account at any installation i build
Some even have to be circulating to ensure the bacteria doesnt grow
The legionella bacteria grows in water that doesnt move im not entirely sure but tought it grows best in temperatures between 15 °c and optimal at 25°c and dies at the temperature 80 °c
Long time ago there was a incident at a flower festival in the town next to where i live killing a couple people and quite a few more got sick it was caused by a fountain
So im carefull with tge usage of the hose and let it run first and always put it away on a non fog producing setting in case my kids grab it to play with

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hm, I was planning on running a sprinkler on a timer while out of town for a wedding coming up. I guess I'll just schedule it to run early in the morning to keep from blasting hot water. I was thinking twice a day in order to cool off the plants at peak heat, but I wouldn't want to scald anything. Thanks for the heads up.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hm, I was planning on running a sprinkler on a timer while out of town for a wedding coming up. I guess I'll just schedule it to run early in the morning to keep from blasting hot water. I was thinking twice a day in order to cool off the plants at peak heat, but I wouldn't want to scald anything. Thanks for the heads up.

I've done the same thing, but time it for first thing in the morning to be safe.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Good thought...

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The hose water here in the states is so chlorinated I can smell when my girlfriend is watering her flowers

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OMG! When I took a look this post tittle, it made me very curious ! I wonder there is a relationship between “ running your hose in the summer “ and PSA level ( Prostate specific antigen) ! ?
Anyway, in Southern California, I won’t waist the hot water. I let it go into the big container and use this water for garden tree later on. We also use the vegetable washing water for garden tree.
Bonhe

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I let it go into the big container and use this water for garden tree later on. We also use the vegetable washing water for garden tree.
Bonhe

Good point! I use the hot water above the slope that our Amur Maple, Red Japanese, and Yoshino Cherry that are in the ground. By the time it gets to be of any use the ground has cooled it unlike potted. Location, location :)

Grimmy

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Yup, that water sitting in a garden hose can get really friggin' hot!

They also suggest either running the house water before you drink it (in the AM) or flushing the toilet first, to purge the water that was siting in the piping over-night.
Heck, I even purge some of the water before drinking it from the refrigerator's filtered water spout.
Now back to my coffee... ;)

Kendo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have a globe valve on my wand. When I turn it on it feels hot, when the water is cool it quickly cools down, then I can water.

I also save hot water in tote to use later for soaking cypress trees in.

Top Bottom