Pugo Mine

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Nice progress sorce looking pretty healthy patience pays off :)

I've got two mugo's that fits that description, however the info in the train helps me to push the growth back gonna take some time tough...
I'll try to update my threads about the mugo's

@Smoke and @Wires_Guy_wires
Interesting!
I'll speak out my mind:
In a certain way growing bonsai is often covering up defacts
Wireing for the obvious reason..
and growing
The tree often grows to a point its possible to correct those by setting the tree back with pruning ofcourse this does not include all species and it take's some time
Deadwood is a great tool too if it's done properly i mean I fucked up some tree's by messing up the deadwood and so the overall design with it.....
I've got time (I hope), I have some tree's that are further along and quite some that i'm just growing out trying to improve those step by step I greatly enjoy both ways of doing bonsai but I also understand why people rather steal time to work only with more or with better developed materials,
it remains an art form right?
It is an art form without question. Though I guess it can be approached as a craft that can be developed by the numbers like a paint by number kit from the hobby store, all you have to do is watch some of Bjorn Bjornholm's demos that end up with trees that do not fit the cookie cutter model to appreciate the artistic ability inherit in bonsai at the highest levels. I know too, that many are critical of demos saying that they teach nothing useful and I understand the arguments that suggest this to be so. I believe that the truth is in the value looked for. If you believe you will find nothing that is exactly what you will find. However if you look at the progress and you can see that progress exceeds your current ability then there is something there for you. You cannot, I suppose, gain inspiration to accomplish a craft obtained by connecting part A to part B but; when the outcome is beyond the cookie cutter as it is known, inspiration to do otherwise cannot be dismissed. Therefor it is imperative to watch and inspect the work of masters to understand the process and acquire the inspiration to do the same. It is my understanding that Kimura's apprentices are not taught piece meal but are forced to learn by watching the master's work. His students are required to pick up the skills or they are soon gone.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is an art form without question. Though I guess it can be approached as a craft that can be developed by the numbers like a paint by number kit from the hobby store, all you have to do is watch some of Bjorn Bjornholm's demos that end up with trees that do not fit the cookie cutter model to appreciate the artistic ability inherit in bonsai at the highest levels. I know too, that many are critical of demos saying that they teach nothing useful and I understand the arguments that suggest this to be so. I believe that the truth is in the value looked for. If you believe you will find nothing that is exactly what you will find. However if you look at the progress and you can see that progress exceeds your current ability then there is something there for you. You cannot, I suppose, gain inspiration to accomplish a craft obtained by connecting part A to part B but; when the outcome is beyond the cookie cutter as it is known, inspiration to do otherwise cannot be dismissed. Therefor it is imperative to watch and inspect the work of masters to understand the process and acquire the inspiration to do the same. It is my understanding that Kimura's apprentices are not taught piece meal but are forced to learn by watching the master's work. His students are required to pick up the skills or they are soon gone.

I agree on this but it's not what I meant
Like your example as painting with numbers from the hobby store the more numbers the painting has the more detailed and better/faster results are accomplished convert that to bonsai a nursery tree or a pre bonsai with little flaws means faster and beter results too that's what I was thinking about, sure there will always be a difference in natural born artistic talent but with enough practiceing one can still become good in the long run.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I agree on this but it's not what I meant
Like your example as painting with numbers from the hobby store the more numbers the painting has the more detailed and better/faster results are accomplished convert that to bonsai a nursery tree or a pre bonsai with little flaws means faster and beter results too that's what I was thinking about, sure there will always be a difference in natural born artistic talent but with enough practiceing one can still become good in the long run.
I think we agree. However when the design that reveals itself in the end does not resemble any of the cookie cutter designs then it has gone beyond the paint by number.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think we agree. However when the design that reveals itself in the end does not resemble any of the cookie cutter designs then it has gone beyond the paint by number.
I think too that we do agree!
Talent means faster results however it does not mean skills cant be taught as example like you say with Mr Kimura seeing others do something is training the skills too!
Another example is yourself I'm following your instructions and watched your videos and am pretty sure I'm treating my mugo's the right way since I'm witnessing the results myself were some other local bonsai folks told me i were doing it wrong :)

@sorce sorry for off topic pollution in your thread ?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Smoke still working this one for you!
View attachment 239290

#notthefront!

Sorce
Looks great!
I wouldn't worry about the knob.
If you just let it grow it can grow past it without carving.
I know a guy that has done this.
Time.
Or if you get a carving bug that will get you to the end faster.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I don't know what the photos are suppose to represent or describe the process as you understand it, but I don't understand what you are trying to demonstarte.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I watched the Mirai video on Scot's the other day. Figured I'd pull this out.

First time it's seen real wire I reckon.
Ain't no hurry.
Nice!! Did you see the "Klostergrun" In shared earlier!! We're both in for a long haul with these young ones!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know what the photos are suppose to represent or describe the process as you understand it, but I don't understand what you are trying to demonstarte.

I think I missed this due to the quote jumping phenomenon. Apologies.

I ....also don't know what you mean!

20200419_110625.jpg20200419_110635.jpg20200419_110614.jpg

This has nice small "candles". 1/2in or so.

The rest of my mugos in nursery pots are 2-3inchesish.

I may end up cutting this Back to the first or second branch. In 10 years or so. Maybe.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Out of order pics.
This is the first time I've cut this back at this time of year....I think.

Still not seeing anything I like In here.

20200711_121925.jpg

20200711_115535.jpg

20200711_121858.jpg

20200711_115523.jpg

20200711_121915.jpg

20200711_121846.jpg

20200711_120434.jpg

20200711_122024.jpg

20200711_121955.jpg

20200711_115543.jpg

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You are attacking this tree as though it will expose itself as a world class bonsai, most of the time the process is dependent upon you taking actions with positive responses in mind. It would be nice to see what some additional branches could do, so lets learn about grafting, while ignoring the removal of branches that are presently hindering your choices and they are right in your face. Prime examples are the numerous bar branches and opposing branches, that interfere with the flow of the trunk,. I have mentioned to all of you guys that a Mugo does not generally have a single trunk of any note without a good deal of cultivation on the grower's part. Generally you are going to spend a good deal of time in the beginning cutting out stuff and watching as the trunk develops and the branches start to take on character of their own.

Below you will find a Mugo from a two gallon nursery plant cut down to a basic trunk, new growth allowed to develop and styled over a ten year period and here is the result. I'll try to get a more current photo in the next day or two. This tree is only about eight inches tall but notice how small the needles are? This is not an accident it is accomplished by proper care and cutting back the new growth from time to time.

DSC_0689a.jpgShohinMughoApril2K copy 2.jpg

Top Bottom