Pugo Mine

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My dad had a subscription to Live Steam magazine since 1960 something. When most kids were reading comic books I was reading Live Steam.

I've always wanted to build a logging locomotive. Either the a shay or a climax. Kozo Hiraoka wrote some fantastic books on building locomotives from scratch. Worth looking at if you are at all interested in machining things from scratch.

To get somewhat back on topic, his books do feature each locomotive on a trestle bridge with some junipers in the background.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My son and I rode s Shay in Cass, West Virginia several years ago.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sorce, since it is your thread and you are all for being off topic, here are some pics from the Adirondack Live Steam 2011 fall meet.

Heisler:
IMG_0112.JPG

Climax:
IMG_0114.JPG

Unfortunately I don’t know the names of the owners or builder so I can’t give credit where it is due.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
I don't know how old you are or if you get (got) around much in the western "burbs" .......

Kiddieland-8-24-2008-Train-1.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
My grandfather was an engineer on the Union Pacific Railroac when he retired. He worked for those people for Sixty-Three years.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know how old you are or if you get (got) around much in the western "burbs" .......

Kiddieland-8-24-2008-Train-1.jpg

Apparently they recently sold it!

I was on that!
My grandfather was an engineer on the Union Pacific Railroac when he retired. He worked for those people for Sixty-Three years.

Hell on Wheels is a great series on AMC!

I love these posts!

Sorce

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Cool. My late grandfather was a railroad lineman in his youth.
Edit: just to keep this on-off/topic, I got my dads old Lionel train set for xmas one year as a kid; loved it!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce, since it is your thread and you are all for being off topic, here are some pics from the Adirondack Live Steam 2011 fall meet.

Heisler:
View attachment 84874

Climax:
View attachment 84875

Unfortunately I don’t know the names of the owners or builder so I can’t give credit where it is due.

Missed that! Awesome!

Sorce

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a Sierra no. 3 from Pickering Logging near Yosemite It used to service the sugar pine scenic railway. A small mule locomotive for hauling ore out of the mines, in Sonora, CA.

Last three are the Shay at Sugar Pine Railroad about 20 miles from the entrance to Yosemite. The Shay, with fake wood burning stack, dressed for Hollywood, my wife and I while they oil the engine and take on water, and a blow down on the way back to the station.

DSC_00470047.JPG
DSC_00200020.JPG
DSC_00190001.JPG
DSC_00610002.JPG
This blowdown is on a curve, the curve is so small that this narrow gauge locomotive can be photographed from a car six cars back and it looks like I am standing along side the locomotive.
DSC_00750003.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very cool. I was on the Durango and Silverton a while back.

We used to take the California Zephyr to Denver every year when I was young. I went to San Francisco once. That's the awesome leg of the journey. ! Mad trees!

My uncle recently did some work on the Lincoln Memorial Car.

Off topic? I don't understand! Lol.

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Can I play? 2010 Skagway Alaska, the White Pass railwayDSC_0009.JPG

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
More of the river, class 5 rapids have never been rafted.DSC_0026.JPG

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Getting ready to cross over into Canada in the Yukon Territory. Crossing a Trestle. DSC_0028.JPG

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Grave site of one of the workers where a ledge fell on him so he remains there to this day.DSC_0082.JPG

Top Bottom