Pulling off all of the pine needles.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds good.

I will start defoliating all my conifers beginning next spring. In fact I may do it twice a year, for the same tree. It's funny how they never metioned this technique in the older bonsai books.

BTW, this reminds me of the instructor doing a class and demo for suicide bombers: "Listen up folks, and pay attention, because I am going to show this to you only once!"

Last edited:

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just found it interesting I was not saying its the way of the future, just that it can be done. The post I had listed was the second year he did it. At the beginning of the link there was a link to the first year he did it. Go back and check it out.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Why are you surprised that it survived?
I think the key is that it was healthy to start with.
Defoliation and survival isn't that odd, as mother nature does it all the time.....I've seen stands/forests/individuals of western hemlock come back from a hemlock looper infestation where most needles were eaten off.......as well as a stand of young mature douglas fir come back from a defoliation caused by a spruce budworm attack.
Cheers
G

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I thought that Peter actually did report back about this tree. . . .

(pause in posting while looking for article [that's right, this post is in real-time])

It's doing well. :D

*Edit - Dang, you beat me to it. Oh well. lol

Top Bottom