Pumice in DMV area?

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
Anyone know of, and wwilling to share, affordable sources of pumice in the dmv area? Trying to Experiment with a different soil mix. FYI crushing big lava stones from HD is a pain in the ass.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Just got a delivery in the mail yesterday...
I couldn't find good ingredients locally, if there are any, they're premixed with organic material.

I order Bonsai Jack's lava and pumice via Amazon, it's not too expensive...and it's easier than driving around town.

1526043783686569683826.jpg1526043799733-1817290000.jpg1526043814622-475898541.jpg
1526043783686569683826.jpg1526043799733-1817290000.jpg1526043814622-475898541.jpg

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
Curious, do you use these for rowing plants out? Or during the refinement stage?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Curious, do you use these for rowing plants out? Or during the refinement stage?
Well, truth is, I don't have any trees in refinement stage yet.
I have some closer than others...
But I like it for anything...

Boon's Mix is a well known blend, it's Lava, Pumice and Akadama...
I don't use Akadama...

If you want another ingredient in the mix, I've used Haydite and DE also.
All with good results.

These mixes are fully inorganic, so fertilizing is a must.

You could add pine bark chips if you want some organic material in there...

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks, I’m experimenting with DE and turface and have some home crushed lava. The number of plants is expanding exponentially and I have a 0$ budget for bonsai stuff now. I can get away with DE, but it makes me think of a litter box when I look at it.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've never used their stuff but check out Beam Clay. It doesn't look like they have pumice but their prices for expanded shale and lava are not too bad. They are in New Jersey so it looks like it could be a bit of a trip for you but not crazy.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought a few big bags of it from Meco Bonsai in Pan. awhile back. Meco had a lot of specialty soil components.

They joined with Superfly bonsai in Harrisburg, Pa.
https://www.superflybonsai.com/
https://www.superflybonsai.com/collections/superfly-bonsai-products

If you're after more local, search on "Dry Stall" its a pumice-based absorbent used in horse barns (Leesburg, horse country would be logical to stock it--might turn up at local feed stores too)

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought a few big bags of it from Meco Bonsai in Pan. awhile back. Meco had a lot of specialty soil components.

They joined with Superfly bonsai in Harrisburg, Pa.
https://www.superflybonsai.com/
https://www.superflybonsai.com/collections/superfly-bonsai-products

If you're after more local, search on "Dry Stall" its a pumice-based absorbent used in horse barns (Leesburg, horse country would be logical to stock it--might turn up at local feed stores too)

Just make sure you get Dry Stall, and not Stall Dry - the latter is powdered pumice.

I had a hard time finding pumice a year or two ago, after having success going to Southern States for Dry Stall. I ended up ordering it online - I think I got it from Dallas Bonsai and/or Jonas from Bonsaitonight.com.

daudelus

Mame
Reaction score
Just make sure you get Dry Stall, and not Stall Dry - the latter is powdered pumice.

I had a hard time finding pumice a year or two ago, after having success going to Southern States for Dry Stall. I ended up ordering it online - I think I got it from Dallas Bonsai and/or Jonas from Bonsaitonight.com.
I also used drystall from SS, but they told me they no longer carry it.
Superfly bonsai were great when I bought pots, so you could give them a try for pumice.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Crushin’ lava is indeed a pain.
Have thought about trying to devise a way to smash it with the car...crushin’ lava blues... I smashed up 3 bags this winter and it’s almost gone.

Bonsai Jack - 3.5 gal. of pumice from Amazon is sounding better and better...but gets away from my bonsai on a budget

Was it really only a matter of time?

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
Crushin’ lava is indeed a pain.
Have thought about trying to devise a way to smash it with the car...crushin’ lava blues... I smashed up 3 bags this winter and it’s almost gone.

I just tried smashing some of that lava from Home Depot just now with a 16lb sledge hammer. I either pulverize it or break the rocks in tow. No in between. LOL. Its such a pain in the ass! How do you smash it?

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
I just tried smashing some of that lava from Home Depot just now with a 16lb sledge hammer. I either pulverize it or break the rocks in tow. No in between. LOL. Its such a pain in the ass! How do you smash it?

I basically hit it with a hammer.... break the chunk in 2, then that in 2, then that in 2 , then that in 2, then that in 2, then that in 2, then that in 2, then that in 2. Then I sift everything through a 1/4 inch screen, that that through a 1/8 screen

Then I have to sweep up the dust....

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
coming from the approach of being aware that bonsai can be..a rich mans art..all art is the stuff of many riches so I started breakin'

I'm not sure breaking lava sucks. It is not ideal, takes physical effort, and takes time. However, as much as it may suck (it sure can), it is rewarding when I approach it as a meditation and refinement of skill of some sort rather than just a task that makes my wife say rightfully, "really..and give a slightly puzzled look"..or.."wrap that up, its time to brush her teeth." It would be rad as hell if a medium (psychic pumice) up the street came available..but that shit probably ain't cheap either.

I've been trying to collect native trees from the wild, and thats has been a real learning experience, but I can not escape the idea that everything a tree (bonsai) really needs to function is in a ~40 mile radius of my home where found..and the nursery ones. In other words, akadama is trite for my needs, others too, fuck a yacht.

longwinded huh..

@Stormwater kinda said it. My 'refined' approach is lowes $3 bag (ask if they have any w/ holes for a buck over in that discount pea gravel-mulch stack), go look at the other discounted houseplants, shrubs and trees, then put a single layer of the lava in a big container that the bottom wont fracture too much ( 5 gal. bucket will eventually)...sledge em' down..

here..the ones that don't break easily, put them in the metals pile and move on. Take your rings off. Sit on a bucket, break big and dump until bag is empty.

Next..pour whole schbang on your back deck on a tarp and quickly, methodicaly, and harmoniously break down with hammer side of framing axe you got on a sea cliff a long time ago into relative sizes (I wear glasses, a good beer and music is good here) scooping level piles near and quickly shunning the iron(?)-lava pieces..breathe (not the dust), enjoy it.

I thought it was a bull in a china shop thing but it is calculated random precise hits of processing.....this weird work has made me concentrate on an idea that most tangible things never move or change unless you physically touch them...how did folks get the perfect grain size before the lava breaking machine? Maybe somebody breaking lava thinking about wabi-sabi, and nourishing their craft and observations of wild things with their surroundings..and how best to fill the blank spaces where life does not reside, but is dependent? If i had cheap lava easy I would jump on it.

and only sift as needed...

Honestly, 100% DE has shockingly provided the most healthy trees I have yet, and it is surely getting hotter. I don't exactly know the best way to feed them yet, but I suppose time will tell...summer. It gets hot here quick.

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
coming from the approach of being aware that bonsai can be..a rich mans art..all art is the stuff of many riches so I started breakin'

I'm not sure breaking lava sucks. It is not ideal, takes physical effort, and takes time. However, as much as it may suck (it sure can), it is rewarding when I approach it as a meditation and refinement of skill of some sort rather than just a task that makes my wife say rightfully, "really..and give a slightly puzzled look"..or.."wrap that up, its time to brush her teeth." It would be rad as hell if a medium (psychic pumice) up the street came available..but that shit probably ain't cheap either.

I've been trying to collect native trees from the wild, and thats has been a real learning experience, but I can not escape the idea that everything a tree (bonsai) really needs to function is in a ~40 mile radius of my home where found..and the nursery ones. In other words, akadama is trite for my needs, others too, fuck a yacht.

longwinded huh..

@Stormwater kinda said it. My 'refined' approach is lowes $3 bag (ask if they have any w/ holes for a buck over in that discount pea gravel-mulch stack), go look at the other discounted houseplants, shrubs and trees, then put a single layer of the lava in a big container that the bottom wont fracture too much ( 5 gal. bucket will eventually)...sledge em' down..

here..the ones that don't break easily, put them in the metals pile and move on. Take your rings off. Sit on a bucket, break big and dump until bag is empty.

Next..pour whole schbang on your back deck on a tarp and quickly, methodicaly, and harmoniously break down with hammer side of framing axe you got on a sea cliff a long time ago into relative sizes (I wear glasses, a good beer and music is good here) scooping level piles near and quickly shunning the iron(?)-lava pieces..breathe (not the dust), enjoy it.

I thought it was a bull in a china shop thing but it is calculated random precise hits of processing.....this weird work has made me concentrate on an idea that most tangible things never move or change unless you physically touch them...how did folks get the perfect grain size before the lava breaking machine? Maybe somebody breaking lava thinking about wabi-sabi, and nourishing their craft and observations of wild things with their surroundings..and how best to fill the blank spaces where life does not reside, but is dependent? If i had cheap lava easy I would jump on it.

and only sift as needed...

Honestly, 100% DE has shockingly provided the most healthy trees I have yet, and it is surely getting hotter. I don't exactly know the best way to feed them yet, but I suppose time will tell...summer. It gets hot here quick.

Nice response! Funny, I’ve been thinking about the 40 miles too. Actually collected some stream gravel to give it a try. cannot seem to get my straight DE watering down. I’m to to this, so in time.

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
Nice response! Funny, I’ve been thinking about the 40 miles too. Actually collected some stream gravel to give it a try. cannot seem to get my straight DE watering down. I’m to to this, so in time.
I’m new to this , I mean.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hello Stormwater,
Welcome aboard, enjoy your stay.

Good thread.

Not having much luck locally either, I've gotten some Pumice online from General Pumice, and it worked for me.

Then I went and ordered 28 gallons (8 x 3.5 gallon bags) of "my created mix" from BonsaiJack, and it is very good quality too.
You can also create your own mix on their website, so I went with 40% Pumice, 40% Lava, 20% Pine Bark, and it seems to be working vey nicely.
Gonna be placing another order with them soon.

You can also order small sample bags from most places, to test-out.

Good Luck,
Ben

Last edited:
Top Bottom