Pumice in the North Georgia area.....?

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I used to be able to get Dry Stall at Cherokee Seed and Feed in Canton but they do not carry it any more, Tractor Supply sale a product with the same name but it's not the same product. I posted a photo below of the dry stall I'm looking for. I think they may have went out of business. It was $20 for a 40 lb bag. I can find pumice on the internet but shipping is too high....Best price I found so far is $27 shipped for 15 lbs.

Anyone know a local source for pumice....If so please post here and I'll do the same if I find a cheap local source.

soil%2B001.jpg

Brian

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Plant City Bonsai should have some.

Don’t know how cheap it would be.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Plant City does carry both the US mined as well as the Japanese mined , they were on the road and couldn't tell me a price or size of bags they carried. I will be calling them back later today.

Brian

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Tractor Supply sale a product with the same name but it's not the same product.
I've ran into the same trouble where I live from a store called Southern States. After talking to their hardgoods buyer I found out they don't carry Dry Stall anymore but do carry Stall Dry which I believe is calcined clay. Maybe your store was confused about the similar names.

But they offered to order the correct Dry Stall for me as a special order, but I think I had to buy a half pallet...

It doesn't hurt to ask for special orders, and if you're a regular there, they might be really willing to help!

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hydroponic stores carry pumice under the brand name Mother Earth.... I think it will have a lot of fines in it because the lable says the size is from 1/32 to 3/8 but it’s cheap.... $16 for a cubic foot (28.32 liters).... I’ll report back with some photos when I pick it up and get it sifted out.

Brian

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I picked up 2 bags today....The pumice inside was wet. Each bag weighed 37 lbs. I poured one up in a tub. Photos below are straight out of the bag. I will report back when I get it sifted.

IMG_6840.JPG
IMG_6839.JPG
IMG_6838.JPG

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just bought a few bags of mother earth as well. Haven't opened them yet. Hopefully we get a decent amount after sifting.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Save the really big stuff for drainage layers. I even used it straight out of the bag when I potted up a big yew I collected last spring.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Save the really big stuff for drainage layers. I even used it straight out of the bag when I potted up a big yew I collected last spring.

Good to know. I'm digging up a 4' spruce from my yard once it warms up. I'll be transferring to a grow box (yet to be made), with 100% pumice.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Don’t mean to hijack this thread but where do you get turface in the north east Georgia area? thank you!

KLSbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
@roberthu you can try Central Turf and Irrigation in either Buford or Norcross. They carry Pro's Choice which is just another brand. Also Ewing and SiteOne landscape supply locations will carry Turface brand.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
@roberthu you can try Central Turf and Irrigation in either Buford or Norcross. They carry Pro's Choice which is just another brand. Also Ewing and SiteOne landscape supply locations will carry Turface brand.
Awesome! Thank you so much for the tip. I have moved to Atlanta for almost five years but have not had needs to buy supplies until now.

Top Bottom