Pumice pots?

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Who has tried trees planted in pots carved out of pumice?

Back in the 90’s when I originally started doing Bonsai I recall seeing a tree planted in a lava rock pot that over time consumed the pot and became a slab planting. The idea has intrigued me ever since and I have been on the lookout for a suitable piece of rock do do it with. I recently found a small pot (see image) in a local shop and put a potentilla in it as an experiment (the potentilla grows like crazy and is rather hard to kill, so it seemed a good way to experiment).
One of my assumptions is the it is highly likely (if not a sure bet) that virtually anything I plant in it will eventually grow into the pot and start breaking it down, so it is kind of a one shot deal for the pot.
I wonder what sort of problems I might encounter.
Is the pot likely to break down in a somewhat organized way like I hope, or maybe just split open at some point, and look like crap?
20190225_174301.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've never seen a 100% pumice pot, though I HAVE seen people making concrete pots using pumice as their aggregate. Just make sure you have drainage... or you are growing water lilies :)

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Just make sure you have drainage... or you are growing water lilies :)

Good point.

First thing I did after getting it home, was soak it in water to verify it is very porous and water drains through the stone. Then just to be sure I drilled a bunch of drain holes in the bottom. It drains almost as well as the grow boxes I build that have hardware fabric & window screen bottoms.

sdavis

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is such thing as a "pumice pot." They are more accurately "pumice bomb pots." In the northwest, these are usually 10 to 20 inch in diameter solid pumice volcanic "bombs" that were ejected 7,700 years ago during the eruption of Mount Mazama in southern Oregon. This eruption formed what is now Crater Lake. Enterprising gardeners use large diameter drills to hollow out a large cupcake depression in the bomb and drill a couple of drainage holes. They work quite well for natural bonsai pots. The closer you get to Crater Lake the larger the bombs become. I have several. See attached low quality photo. Too much snow to get a good shot right now.IMGP4405.jpg

Top Bottom