Punica granatum 'Evergreen's Red Dwarf'

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
There was a request to see this after going into it's first training pot. Mind you I was going to put it in a different pot. I could have sworn I had a couple light blue and smaller ones but after going through my boxes I now remember that I sold them before the move. This pot is actually a cheap black one that had a roadside juni in it that was given to me.

This poor tree has been horribly abused. I have not done anything to my trees since we lost our house in June of 2013. I have only watered enough to keep them alive. This one has nearly died 3 times but each time pushed a leaf out just as I was giving up. So anything I have is a miracle.

This is currently the tree I have had the longest. I received this from Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks https://www.evergreengardenworks.com January 17, 2008. The first picture is the night I unpacked it. The second picture is in pond basket about 4 years ago.

I am not positive this is 'ERD' because the fruits are not purple. It is a semi-dwarf and has some but not many thorns. As you can see the flowers are almost neon orange.

ERD_01-17-2008.jpg IMG_0875.JPG

Last edited:

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
01-2015

Here are the before and after of the repot. Sorry about the quality on the before pictures, my fingers were cold. I know you all feel really bad for me especially as it is 50F at 1AM. It still needs quite a bit of cleanup. I also saved two roots for cuttings.

IMG_2608.jpg IMG_2609.jpg IMG_2616.jpg IMG_2617.jpg

It's not much but it's a survivor for sure. :)

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mile,

really beautiful flower.
You guys are so fortunate to have so many cultivars.

After years we have just about 3 types, and only the minima grows well on this island, but not to fuss, one can watch and admire.
Thank you.
Good Day
Anthony

Milly

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
" I also saved two roots for cuttings."

I didn't know this was possible with pomegranates.
Tell me more please.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are the before and after of the repot. Sorry about the quality on the before pictures, my fingers were cold. I know you all feel really bad for me especially as it is 50F at 1AM. It still needs quite a bit of cleanup. I also saved two roots for cuttings.

View attachment 65358 View attachment 65359 View attachment 65360 View attachment 65361

It's not much but it's a survivor for sure. :)

It's hardly 50 degrees at 1:00am in July! But I do feel bad for you. Really bad. Lol.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cool flowers and nice base. Did you gradually remove soil and expose those roots? I need to put some plants into baskets or the ground and grow them out for a couple years.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Cool flowers and nice base. Did you gradually remove soil and expose those roots? I need to put some plants into baskets or the ground and grow them out for a couple years.

Actually those roots (which my son describes as "creepy") are the product of neglect. Soil had washed out and been knocked out by birds and dealing with more than a bit of depression I did not feel like doing any "work" on the trees. It did pretty well given that. :)

Top Bottom