Punica granatum 'nana' (at least I think)

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I thought you might all enjoy a picture of some absolutely huge pomes that came off my one of my little 'nana'.

This tree is special to me as it was the one that got me back into bonsai about seven years ago. I bought it at the Trader Joe's where I now work. I made several calls and chased it down through the grower who said it is just a 'nana'.

I nearly lost it three years ago in a real hot spell and it has been in the ground recovering for the last two.

Anyway... the leaves are very small and branching is super fine. Not many thorns on this variety and they fruit and flower quite a lot. The largest the fruits ever get is about the size of a ping pong ball with most the size of these:

nanaPome.jpg

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought you might all enjoy a picture of some absolutely huge pomes that came off my one of my little 'nana'.

This tree is special to me as it was the one that got me back into bonsai about seven years ago. I bought it at the Trader Joe's where I now work. I made several calls and chased it down through the grower who said it is just a 'nana'.

I nearly lost it three years ago in a real hot spell and it has been in the ground recovering for the last two.

Anyway... the leaves are very small and branching is super fine. Not many thorns on this variety and they fruit and flower quite a lot. The largest the fruits ever get is about the size of a ping pong ball with most the size of these:

View attachment 29123
Thanks for great story Milehigh_7.
You' re right about the profused flowers and fruits on the Punica granatum nana. I have 3 of them around my koi pond. They have producing flowers and plenty of fruits all years long!
Your tree leaves are little bigger than mine.
Bonhe

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
hard to believe that came from Trader Joes! Was it made as bonsai then? Doesn't look much like a mallsai...

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
hard to believe that came from Trader Joes! Was it made as bonsai then? Doesn't look much like a mallsai...

It was just one of their house plants in a tin. After I moved from Phoenix in 2002, I lived in an apartment and killed everything I moved with me so I gave up for a few years. However, the love of it brought me back. I have cut this back several times over the past seven years and it began my renewed quest to learn bonsai and my to master the challenge of growing them in the desert.

Top Bottom