Punica granatum 'nana' twig in pot

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Ok all, here is one that is not even a stick in a pot. It is a twig in a pot. A just for fun little project.

It stands a towering 2.5 inches from rim to top of the tallest branch. Started training it about 2 months ago.

*ducks and covers*

LittlePom2.jpg

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Aww how cute..Nice pot..It would grow better in a much bigger pot.
Mom

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I think it depends on what size tree you want it to become.
Mame trees....Small pot to control the growth.
Shohin trees....Hmmm these can benefit from in the ground or a much larger grow out box.
The size tree you want is how you judge how to grow it.
Mom

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sorry couldn't resist. Honestly though I think it would benefit from a leader.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Milehigh 7,
You should look for Bonsai Today issue 19. It has an excellent article How to create the pomeganate root over rock from cutting. bonhe

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Hi Milehigh 7,
You should look for Bonsai Today issue 19. It has an excellent article How to create the pomeganate root over rock from cutting. bonhe

This one is just for a bit of fun. However I would imagine it would be pretty easy. They root like mad from any size cutting. I got 100% strike with no hormone at all. Late winter just before bud break with bottom heat. Ten days and bang! Literally blew the bottom apart with roots.

I am going to try some 1 inch plus cuttings this winter.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Sorry couldn't resist. Honestly though I think it would benefit from a leader.

Hi Milehigh 7,

I actually do have a plan for this little guy however. Starting with Steve's advice I am going to chop it again about halfway between the first branch and the pot at about .5 inches. There are buds on either side of the trunk at this point that I will start a leader from.

I will be able to get much smaller internodes this way. Some of my nanas have VERY tight internodes and real small leaves.

Would you believe this little fella tried to push flowers this week? I pinched em off to save strength.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
LOL.

Ok I got to doing some measurements and a little math and the caliper on this is .375 inches now that means that a 6:1 ratio would be a 2.25 inch tall tree. Well mine is 2.5 tall about 6.67:1

My first branch is right at 1.25 inches which is about .3 inches to high.

So while this is not perfect in proportion it is not exactly a stick in a pot.

It seems that requires more than adequate measurements ;) However if all goes according to plan, this little fella may actually look ok in a few years.

Marc S

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ok all, here is one that is not even a stick in a pot. It is a twig in a pot. A just for fun little project.

It stands a towering 2.5 inches from rim to top of the tallest branch. Started training it about 2 months ago.

*ducks and covers*

LittlePom2.jpg

I think this stick is a good example of a "stick in a pot" (no pun intended).
It totally lacks taper, I wouldn't waste my time on it. Could become a nice house plant though.

Last edited:

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I think this stick is a good example of a "stick in a pot" (no pun intended).
It totally lacks taper, I wouldn't waste my time on it. Could become a nice house plant though.

LOL! Yes with some work it could be a good house plant! LOL You are right about the taper as it is about 3 months from a cutting. It is really too small to take up much of my time. Really it is just for fun. I have no serious expectations for it.

Top Bottom