Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Dwarf Emperor

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Just curious if anyone knows where I can find a Punica Granatum Emperor Dwarf Pomegranate? It seems like the Nana is more easily attainable than the Emperor, but from what I have read the the Emperor has a more desirable fruit and a more intense flower color. Thanks for any input!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone knows where I can find a Punica Granatum Emperor Dwarf Pomegranate? It seems like the Nana is more easily attainable than the Emperor, but from what I have read the the Emperor has a more desirable fruit and a more intense flower color. Thanks for any input!
Maybe @bonhe can be of assistance, he has an assortment of poms.

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Maybe @bonhe can be of assistance, he has an assortment of poms
Thank you so much! You are always so helpful to me. I have called a couple places where I live (Fresno CA) with no luck and have looked online with no the luck. Hopefully he will chime in. Thanks again.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Thank you so much! You are always so helpful to me. I have called a couple places where I live (Fresno CA) with no luck and have looked online with no the luck. Hopefully he will chime in. Thanks again.
Hopefully he'll be able to help you out!

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Brent used to sell it. Here is the description from his website.

Punica granatum 'Emperor' This little plant was brought from Japan by Don Herzog of the Miniature Plant Kingdom and is perhaps the finest dwarf pomegranate available today. It grows very slowly into a very twiggy flattened dome about 3 feet x 4 feet and has good red orange single flowers followed by the most beautiful deep mahogany-purple skinned 1 1/2 inch plus fruits. Susceptible to late spring freezes. Excellent for bonsai.

Sorry, but we have discontinued this selection. It is not very cold hardy and we finally lost all our stock plants. We will leave the description up for information purposes and hope that you can find it elsewhere.

Update! I found one at the REBS Show last summer (2017), a single tiny plant in a two inch pot. It will probably take five years to grow it out enough to get cutting wood, but at some point (with luck) we will have it again. Thanks to Lone Pine Nursery in Sobastopol.
Some more info about Punica from him.

Punica granatum (Flowering Pomegranate)S\M\D\10ø\Ls\B Deciduous shrubs or small trees from Asia. Full size Pomegranates will reach 10-15 feet and older plants can spread as far as 20 feet by long arching multiple trunks. It will be a multi-stemmed shrub unless a single trunk is selected and the suckers are pruned out. In any case, the number of trunks should be selected and maintained to develop a high canopy and open base which will accentuate the graceful arching habit. The flowers of all our large types are fully double (except 'Omi'), some as large as 4 inches. The colors are pure white, pale yellow, pink, red orange, red and two colored. Flowering period is from June-August except for the dwarf types that are nearly perpetually in bloom (and fruit). Most of the double flowering types do not fruit readily, which will be indicated for each variety. Small stem dieback will occur at 10ø but established plants will surely survive. At 0ø there is the risk of killing the entire plant. Younger plants, potted plants, and the dwarf types will need more protection (keep above about 20F). Pomegranates are very salt tolerant and heat tolerant.
They thrive under desert conditions and are very drought resistant, although the fruit will suffer. They need full sun and prefer well drained soil, but will grow in almost any soil that does not stay too wet in summer.
Excellent plants for bonsai, forming thick tapered and sometimes twisted trunks. Full sized Pomegranate should only be used for larger bonsai (2-4 feet) to keep the flowers and fruit in proportion. This means growing them out for several years to develop sufficient trunk size. The dwarf types are suitable for small and very small bonsai, where their flowers and small fruit will be quite striking. Bonsai plants should be protected from temperatures below about 26F. They can be grown indoors in winter under bright lights, but it is not recommended. They do much better if given a dormant period in winter, even if it is a brief one in the fall before being moved indoors. All of our Pomegranates are cutting grown and ready to flower.
DWARF AND SEMI-DWARF POMEGRANATE
We have discontinued Punica granatum 'Nana'because of the confusion over the name. Many plants sold are actually seedlings of dwarf plants that are quite variable, some of them even nearly full size. We now only offer named cultivars that are cutting grown so that you may be assured of the plant's characteristics.

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Brent used to sell it. Here is the description from his website.

Some more info about Punica from him.
Thank you so much for all this information, it is greatly appreciated. I’m hoping I will be able to find what I’m looking for, but I may have to just resort back to the “nana” instead and just be on the lookout for the emperor. Thank you again!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry I don’t have this kind, but I will ask my teacher who may know someone has. I will let you know if I have any information.
Thụ Thoại

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Sorry I don’t have this kind, but I will ask my teacher who may know someone has. I will let you know if I have any information.
Thụ Thoại
Thank you. It appears this kind is not easy to get and may be pretty rare. Perhaps I should just go with the Nana for now and keep an eye out for an Emperor.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you. It appears this kind is not easy to get and may be pretty rare. Perhaps I should just go with the Nana for now and keep an eye out for an Emperor.
You are welcome.
I just spoke to one of my friends who also has extensive pomegranate bonsai collection. He has Emperor in landscape. He will do cutting for me. When it is ready, I will let you know.

p/s : he said the tree is full of flowers at this time. The fruit color is purple and becomes black color

Thụ Thoại

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That’s rad that he’s gonna send you a cutting. There’s a “notify me when available” on this site too. Might be a cool way to start with a bigger specimen!

Happy Easter!

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You are welcome.
I just spoke to one of my friends who also has extensive pomegranate bonsai collection. He has Emperor in landscape. He will do cutting for me. When it is ready, I will let you know.

p/s : he said the tree is full of flowers at this time. The fruit color is purple and becomes black color

Thụ Thoại
Thụ Thoại
Thank you for following up with your friend! I am deeply appreciative. I’m just enamored with them. You are very kind! Please let me know when they are ready. You can message me and we can go from there. Thank you again!

Paula

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That’s rad that he’s gonna send you a cutting. There’s a “notify me when available” on this site too. Might be a cool way to start with a bigger specimen!

Happy Easter!
It is very kind for sure. Thank you for the website information. I did sign up for a notification. I fear I’m going to have to start moving into my neighbors balcony space soon if I keep adding to my little bonsai family. Happy Easter!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine just arrived. It is 28 inches tall and in a nursery one gallon pot (3 qts). I am going to more or less slip pot it into a larger pot and grow it on as a mother plant with a future being a mother bonsai.
IMG_6662.JPG

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Mine just arrived. It is 28 inches tall and in a nursery one gallon pot (3 qts). I am going to more or less slip pot it into a larger pot and grow it on as a mother plant with a future being a mother bonsai.
View attachment 448913
That’s Awesome !!! I just ordered mine and will hopefully will get it by Monday. I’m so freaking excited 😆 So what are your immediate plans? And plans for the next year with this little jewel? Thanks again so much!

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
View attachment 448913
Ha !! Sorry, I just read your plans lol I was so excited looking at the picture 😂 I’m assuming you have other pomegranates? This will be my first and I’m going to have to do a lot of quick studying on how to take care of this particular species. So excited !

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That’s Awesome !!! I just ordered mine and will hopefully will get it by Monday. I’m so freaking excited 😆 So what are your immediate plans? And plans for the next year with this little jewel? Thanks again so much!
Ha !! Sorry, I just read your plans lol I was so excited looking at the picture 😂
It happens and is not only warranted, but rather expected. :cool:
I have to do some work and won't look at my plant again until later. Then I will come up with a plan. :rolleyes:
do you think it appropriate to track it on this post?;)

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It happens and is not only warranted, but rather expected. :cool:
I have to do some work and won't look at my plant again until later. Then I will come up with a plan. :rolleyes:
do you think it appropriate to track it on this post?;)
Yes yes please let’s track yours and mine! Part of me wishes I had ordered two 😜 I think having it as a mother bonsai is a great idea. Following you will certainly help with my path too, so thanks 😊 Do you plan on doing cuttings, air layers, seeds from the fruit or all the above ?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes yes please let’s track yours and mine! Part of me wishes I had ordered two 😜 I think having it as a mother bonsai is a great idea. Following you will certainly help with my path too, so thanks 😊 Do you plan on doing cuttings, air layers, seeds from the fruit or all the above ?
Cool.
LOL, I wish I had gotten two as well.
I will certainly attempt cuttings. I am likely layer the whole top or most of it off. That would give me two plants to work with. Of course I need to study the plant first. I have always wanted a thick old pom about 8-10 inches tall. Maybe there is one in here.
I turned 73 today and this pom is a great gift to myself.

Top Bottom