Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Dwarf Emperor

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Cool.
LOL, I wish I had gotten two as well.
I will certainly attempt cuttings. I am likely layer the whole top or most of it off. That would give me two plants to work with. Of course I need to study the plant first. I have always wanted a thick old pom about 8-10 inches tall. Maybe there is one in here.
I turned 73 today and this pom is a great gift to myself.
Happy Birthday!!

Godschick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Cool.
I will certainly attempt cuttings. I am likely layer the whole top or most of it off. That would give me two plants to work with. Of course I need to study the plant first. I have always wanted a thick old pom about 8-10 inches tall. Maybe there is one in here.
Happy Birthday 🎂 I’m excited to see how these poms turn out! I’ll post again when I get mine in the mail.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Mine just arrived. It is 28 inches tall and in a nursery one gallon pot (3 qts). I am going to more or less slip pot it into a larger pot and grow it on as a mother plant with a future being a mother bonsai.
View attachment 448913
What are you going to do with it in the winter?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Cool.
Happy Birthday!🥳🎂🍻

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
How winter hardy are Pomegranates?
I've never tested mine to be honest. I bring them in under the lights, because I like the flowers. I believe @HorseloverFat keeps his in some sort off cold storage. Mine would probably be OK in the garage with the azaleas, but again, I like the flowers.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I've never tested mine to be honest. I bring them in under the lights, because I like the flowers. I believe @HorseloverFat keeps his in some sort off cold storage. Mine would probably be OK in the garage with the azaleas, but again, I like the flowers.
Hehe! mine stay at 61F/63F in winter.. this just STARTS dormancy reactions...

I believe @leatherback may leave his outside.. he is KIND of cold..

He will know for sure.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So far, I have let them experience -20C
They are still around.
Could be just luck

Fairness: That was a once of peak. When it got that cold for longer, I put them in an open air shed, with a 5c heater cable around the pots.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Doesnt get that cold here, tbf tho winters are getting milder, summers are getting hotter. Here anyway, plants that couldnt survive the winters are now surviving the winter. My Punica has been outside for must be at least 7 or more years. Ive had it in the ground two years and its thriving, produces flowers every season. but the previous owner kept it in a flower pot outside all year around. I took some thick hardwood cuttings almost 2 weeks ago, theyve been outside on my balcony, in a deep pot with a black bag over the top all through the heatwave, i checked today and the leaves are still fresh and there are new buds forming. theyre pretty hardy in my location and grow/thicken fast.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
A couple of things, I had one for years and they are pretty care free. They don't like wet feet so make sure to keep them well drained. They can take any amount of heat as I've had them do well over 120F. However you don't want them to get overly dry either. As far as cold, Emperor is not as cold hardy as others but mine was outside into the high 20s F. I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

If anyone has any cuttings, keep me in mind please.

Top Bottom