Punked by the weather

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Lulled by 2 weeks of sun and pleasant days, I did some repots.
Now....2 weeks of wind, gloom, rain and cold. ........Of course.
Temp has not gone under 30 but I can't imagine that the repots are happy.
Fortunately and for some reason, I distrust the weather almost as much as the government so I went REALLY easy on root work.
Hoping for good things ....if....the sun ever returns.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I can't see any problem. I routinely repot with full root reduction from mid winter down here so many of my trees manage with cool, wet conditions and occasional frost for a month or 2 before they start to grow.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For those unfamiliar with snow, freezing and low 30's temps, repotted trees should be brought inside until the cold snap eases. FWIW temps above 32 aren't a problem for the most part, unless you have tropicals. If low 30's (above 32) to mid 40's temps are forecast, simply mulching the newly repotted trees into a garden bed will be enough to protect them.

Root re-development will be slowed, but not stopped by those lower temps.

Also FWIW, we had an 85 degree day last Thursday. I have tried to put off repotting as winter is not really over here. We had low 30s and snow on Saturday. Temps going back up into the high 60s this week, with high 20's predicted this coming weekend. I've got to bring trees in when that happens as most are already in leaf...

Last edited:

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
For those unfamiliar with snow, freezing and low 30's temps, repotted trees should be brought inside until the cold snap eases. FWIW temps above 32 aren't a problem for the most part, unless you have tropicals. If low 30's (above 32) to mid 40's temps are forecast, simply mulching the newly repotted trees into a garden bed will be enough to protect them.

Root re-development will be slowed, but not stopped by those lower temps.

Also FWIW, we had an 85 degree day last Thursday. I have tried to put off repotting as winter is not really over here. We had low 30s and snow on Saturday. Temps going back up into the high 60s this week, with high 20's predicted this coming weekend. I've got to bring trees in when that happens as most are already in leaf...

I was just about to say this ..

Temps below 30 MOST DEFINITELY DO matter!

I've killed many trees by not protecting after spring repots.

🤓

Good luck Mr. mycelium!

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬 🤬

grrrrr.JPG

If this gloomy cold dark crappy weather contintues, I may have to be repotted.
In MEXICO.... 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

trod10

Seedling
Reaction score
You’re already in Mexico.....
Hey Al where is a good place to source substrate material in the Fresno area, mainly pumice and lava rock?

Top Bottom