Pupation Station

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Didn't know where to post this, but still wanted to share. Mrs. Mullet and I, well more Mrs. Mullet, have been trying our hands at raising Monarch butterflies. As you may or may not know, the monarch numbers have been dwindling every year, mostly due to habitat loss, Roundup, and Monsanto's genetic engineered food program. The host plant for the monarch is milkweed, it is the only plant that the larvae will eat. So anyway, we have a friend that is very passionate about them, even made a movie about them, and she got my wife interested. We purchased some milk weed plants earlier this year and set them out, not too many days later a monarch came by and laid eggs. I built her an enclosure made of PVC and screen to protect them from predators, four weeks later, here is what we have:

DSC09127-1.jpg

DSC09128-1.jpg

DSC09129-1.jpg

DSC09130-1.jpg

We have about 35 caterpillars in all, they grew from about 1/8 inch to 3+ inches in that time. Here is what they can do to a pot of milkweed in about a day and a half:

DSC09131-1.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Very cool! Except... that doesn't look like any kind of milkweed I have ever seen! Those are actually pretty! The ones I am familiar with (the ones I grew up with in the MidWest) only had white flowers, and much broader leaves.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
? How much milkweed do you have!?! Going to take a lot to feed them...

?Very cool though...very cool indeed!

I have plenty, it is available at the local Lowes and we have some planted from seed.

Very cool! Except... that doesn't look like any kind of milkweed I have ever seen! Those are actually pretty! The ones I am familiar with (the ones I grew up with in the MidWest) only had white flowers, and much broader leaves.

This type is native to the Southeast, one has yellow flowers and one has red/yellow flowers. They are kinda pretty, but I really see them as the caterpillars eat them for dessert.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
That is so awesome. I kind of hate bugs, but they are kind of pretty. And think of what they will become.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

It is Asclepias purpurascens, purple milkweed. It is native to the Chicago region, it grows in open oak woods and oak woodland edges. Usually only in less disturbed areas. It is much more conservative than the common milkweed, that you are thinking of with fuzzy leaf undersides and pinkish yellow flowers.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very cool...funny coincidence I just talked to a Boy Scout today about his Eagle Scout project at our school. We want him to build Monarch Weigh Stations on our campus. Monarchs come through AZ on their way to and from Mexico.

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very cool...funny coincidence I just talked to a Boy Scout today about his Eagle Scout project at our school. We want him to build Monarch Weigh Stations on our campus. Monarchs come through AZ on their way to and from Mexico.
That's a cool project! I hope he can get it done for you. The BSA council would sign off on a project like that in a heart beat. Good for the environment the wildlife and the community.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Raised these as a kid... Enclosure not a bad idea but are you aware these have bad taste or poisonous for bug predators to eat? Believe true for both adult and caterpillars;). Been a few years. Very cool you do this.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Raised these as a kid... Enclosure not a bad idea but are you aware these have bad taste or poisonous for bug predators to eat? Believe true for both adult and caterpillars;). Been a few years. Very cool you do this.

I have read this, but have seen blue jays eat them, perhaps it is an acquired taste...

There are wasps, that will get them too, and dirt daubers.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's a pretty cool project.
But...I picture a dozen caterpillars finishing up all the milkweed, popping their heads up looking for their next meal and spotting a nice juicy arakawa maple not far off. Remember The Very Hungry Caterpillar may sometimes go "off-diet" :)
CW

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
That's a pretty cool project.
But...I picture a dozen caterpillars finishing up all the milkweed, popping their heads up looking for their next meal and spotting a nice juicy arakawa maple not far off. Remember The Very Hungry Caterpillar may sometimes go "off-diet" :)
CW

I don't think they eat anything else, there are other plants in the enclosure and they do not touch them, only milkweed.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Creep me out... Catapillar is one of my pet peeves. Kill on sight but glad you are building them a home.

Top Bottom