Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is the tree last April
Foto 07-04-19 15 04 45.jpg

I just finished wiring it.

Foto 16-08-19 12 24 57.jpg

Branches are not set yet. I'm afraid that the long low branche on the left side will find no place in future design. Might lose the live vain on the left side because of it.
I appreciate your comments and advice

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is the tree last April
View attachment 257775

I just finished wiring it.

View attachment 257774

Branches are not set yet. I'm afraid that the long low branche on the left side will find no place in future design. Might lose the live vain on the left side because of it.
I appreciate your comments and advice
Reduce it slowly to give the plant a chance to adjust and strengthen any growth further up the vein. At this point it is dominant and complete removal may very well cause a complete die off. I would remove 1/3 now, wait till spring and the new foliage is extending and hardened off, then remove another portion. Judge the results and react accordingly in the fall!

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Reduce it slowly to give the plant a chance to adjust and strengthen any growth further up the vein. At this point it is dominant and complete removal may very well cause a complete die off. I would remove 1/3 now, wait till spring and the new foliage is extending and hardened off, then remove another portion. Judge the results and react accordingly in the fall!
Thanks. I know nothing about Yew. Just begin to like this one. Recently saw one from Mauro Stemberger, that was so great, with very full foliage pads. I want that too!
No, I WANT THAT TOO!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree. I am a little sad that you removed so much from the top; WOuld also have made a nice taller specimen.

I think you could remove part of the older needles, and stimulate backbudding a bit. It looks like you wired with all needles from the previous years left on?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice tree. I am a little sad that you removed so much from the top; WOuld also have made a nice taller specimen.

I think you could remove part of the older needles, and stimulate backbudding a bit. It looks like you wired with all needles from the previous years left on?

I'm not a ''yew'' guy, I only have one at the moment. I never heard of removing needles to stimulate back budding for a yew. For pines, yes, for a yew, no. Is this really a ''standard yew technique''? do others do it?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yews create buds on wood that grey 2 seasons back, provided there are no needles. But, needles neet to be removed carefully else you pull the section where the bud should form.

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm not a ''yew'' guy, I only have one at the moment. I never heard of removing needles to stimulate back budding for a yew. For pines, yes, for a yew, no. Is this really a ''standard yew technique''? do others do it?
I don’t know Leo, I believe at Some point needles are removed to promote The vertical shoots that create The foliagepads. But I need to find out all this for myself!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is in general for backbudding. After summer pruning and wiring you should have some 10-20 needles at the branch ends. Half last years, and half of this year.:

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes It’s a thing, you just pull the old needles and buds pop all over the branch. I learned it from a tony tickle video couple about 5 years ago. It was all I could find on yew development.

Reaction score

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome transformation and it looks very happy! Looking forward to seeing it's progress!

Top Bottom