purchase Trident Maple?

sidetrack1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
thinking of buying this Trident Maple it's field grown 2"trunk 17" tall & 8 yrs old any advice? Thank you folks very much really love reading & learning here.trident maple.jpg

JohnDoses

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know exactly what site this is from, I've bought from them before and was satisfied. I can't remember if shipping is extra or included in the price? If included, the price is about right, if not, the final cost might be approaching what I would consider to be too high for a tree like this.
But either way, if you can afford it, I don't think it's bad purchase. This is a pretty solid online bonsai retailer.

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
I purchased a very large, raw trident from Mr. Green. The photos didn't do it justice, his best work was the excellent buttressing hidden under the soil. Very happy with it, but it is definitely a long term project--tons of root work and multiple chops ahead. If you are looking for a finished tree this isn't it.

sidetrack1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know exactly what site this is from, I've bought from them before and was satisfied. I can't remember if shipping is extra or included in the price? If included, the price is about right, if not, the final cost might be approaching what I would consider to be too high for a tree like this.
But either way, if you can afford it, I don't think it's bad purchase. This is a pretty solid online bonsai retailer.
Cool Thank you very much JohnDoses, I'm not sure bout shipping either so i'll chk on it.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
solid trunk and enough branches to cut back and re build from. but it would be a gamble, as you have no idea if there is any flare at the base or some nebari. thats important. but there is always layering;)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I probably wouldn’t buy it. It’s not priced bad for the size, but pick a tree from the bottom-up. What does the base look like? You have not supplied a photo of this, but if it’s bad, it will take forever to fix.

The trunk has no taper, and neither do the branches. The origination of the branches is lopsided to the left, and seems to be lacking any moving toward the front. How will you address the branches? If you cut them off and start over, you just bought a trunk with huge scars to heal and an unknown nebari for $170. If you shorten them to a length you can work with, they are still originating from awkward positions. You could do better than that.
DF0442BB-F01C-45B9-BD75-92A0B2896DAF.jpeg

84AAD388-31D4-47C7-9E2B-1B7540BC7407.jpeg

Last edited:

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I wouldn't buy it. Trunk is too straight, there is a side with no branches, the branches there are are too heavy for that trunk. I think you can find better trees to invest your money in.

sidetrack1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
thank everyone for your input, think i'll think bout it a bit more & in mean time i have sent e-mails to Mark (Kingsville grower) & Brent ( Evergreen Gardenworks ) to see what if any they have in my price range.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Looks like material from a place near me.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes the nebari or lack thereof might be an issue. But I see potential for a true broom style tree here. There is a good start of upward growing branches without too much swelling. Maybe a ground layer eventually. Broom are very difficult and take a lot of time to create but anyway34BD8AB2-CFD4-4EF0-BBA6-CC36D3453F81.jpeg

Last edited:

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
Looked at the website. What about this one from the same seller for $20 cheaper? It has taper and movement in the base--to me it looks better than the one you are considering.

1557776628148.png

Still have to contend with the issues Brian mentioned about the roots and branches--maybe you can get some additional photos from different angles and/or with some soil removed to see the surface roots?

sidetrack1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@ Zach2 Thanks & was looking @ that one but may have to wait a bit on getting a another tree, had emergency with one of my dogs so there went tree money :(

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought another one from the site, and was thinking of buying this one too, but it was already sold. The things I like about this stock is it already has the form of a tree. Nebari could be a bit wider for sure, but it has the start of a real tree, with multiple thick branching. Not a bonsai tree that follows some made-up rules. Real trees have lop-sided branches that are thick like that. I don't think the branches are too thick for the trunk at all. Too straight? Yeah definitely, which as others brought out will take a loong time to heal and re-grow.

sidetrack1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
so I finally got a trident Maple, what you guy's think? any suggestions? trying to decide on front & start pruning maybe a little wiring.

Attachments

• IMG_20190531_174937_4.jpg
    IMG_20190531_174937_4.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20190531_175028_1.jpg
    IMG_20190531_175028_1.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20190531_175049_2.jpg
    IMG_20190531_175049_2.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20190531_175113_6.jpg
    IMG_20190531_175113_6.jpg