Purchasing another tree

austindecker

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Everyone I'm looking to buy another tree. I want to purchase another one because all I have right now is my Ficus Retusa and I want another tree to keep me busier with bonsai. One tree doesn't do enough for me.

It's cooling off here in Utah and the tree I got will most likely need to winter inside with my Ficus and I. What kind of tree should I be looking to purchase this late in the year.

Also if anyone has any good idea of honest sell priced vendors I'm all ears. Thanks everyone. Love this website.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is that your boy? Future misting champion!?
He looks so happy! Wish I was that old again!

What is your indoor setup like?

At this point I would put it inside straight away, so best to have that ret!

Facebook bonsai auctions...
Or wherever
@amcoffeegirl gets hers.

Sorce

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
... need to winter inside with my Ficus and I. What kind of tree should I be looking to purchase this late in the year.
Duranta, Chinese liguster, zanthoxylum, Operculicaria and...ehm, one chinese elm are my best indoor performers. Operculicaria almost leafless in winter, Chinese elm wintered in a cold room as side notes. Following are a little bit finicky - serissa, sageretia, fukien tea.

austindecker

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Right now my indoor setup is a window sill with a dresser right in front of it. And yes my Ficus is inside already. It just git below 50 during the night so I didn't want to take any chances. I want to get a light set up I gotta find a place for it in my smallish apartment.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Natal plums and lavender star flowers will do fine inside during the winter, they aren't finicky. They prefer a southern exposure, but an eastern exposure works OK too.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
IMG_4970.JPG Indoor growing can be done.
As you can see on the middle shelves I have led lighting to supplement growth.
About 2 months ago I got that top light.
It's a 4 bulb t5 unit. New growth is reddish in color. That's what you want to see.
Salicaria (willow leaf ficus) are my favorite. I had some trouble with underwatering this year and lost a lot of leaves. My trees got long and leggy growth while recovering. Next spring I will be chasing back all the growth on the ones that suffered.
The t5s do add a bit of heat which the ficus also love.
Someday I will move and set up a new growing area but for now I will rotate trees in and out of the top shelf.
Good luck- happy growing.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh yeah by the way
I order a lot of trees from Florida.
Schley s bonsai
Wigerts
And FB auctions are all a good source for everything you need.
Tools, wire, books, pots
I have to mention Dasu Bonsai also because they are just a short drive from me.

Top Bottom