Purple flower Jacaranda (2 months old) dying

Bonsai_Rookie

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello! I recently started my own bonsai 2 months ago.

The top (new sets of leaves) suddenly started to turn brown-black, I did start fertilizing it with a really low dosage bonsai fertilizer, but I doubt this is the problem.

As a precaution, I removed every affected leaves and need to wait to see if it will heal... It was looking just fine about DAYS ago! I would like some insights on this PLEASE

The soil mixture I'm using is homemade and sifted:
- 50% great quality Akadama (sifted)
- 20% Pumice
- 25% Lava rocks
- 5% coarse construction sand

The bonsai stays indoors 24/7 in my basement under 1-2 inches from a LED grow light casting constant white light 16 hours a day (I'll send a picture of the setup)

I water the tree about 30-36 hours intervals when I feel the first inch of soil is near dry.

Temperature is constant.

No pests have beem found under the damaged leaves (it seems only the surface is affected at first)

Attachments

• 20210520_233100_HDR.jpg
    20210520_233100_HDR.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210520_233053_HDR.jpg
    20210520_233053_HDR.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210523_163337_HDR.jpg
    20210523_163337_HDR.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210523_163347_HDR.jpg
    20210523_163347_HDR.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210523_163356_HDR.jpg
    20210523_163356_HDR.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210523_155955_HDR.jpg
    20210523_155955_HDR.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 25

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Consider they are still very young. Your low concentration fert may still be too high as that seems like the only variable that changed. With saplings and young plants, I typically use much much lower than the directions....maybe 25% or less.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How strong are the grow lights? As it’s the new top leaves that are suffering could it be possible the lights are too close now the plants have grown?

Bonsai_Rookie

Sapling
Reaction score
How strong are the grow lights? As it’s the new top leaves that are suffering could it be possible the lights are too close now the plants have grown?
The grow light output hasn't been an issue since I started it, it might be because of the fertilizers 😭

Bonsai_Rookie

Sapling
Reaction score
The ammount told to put was one half of a Teaspoon, I basically put about a quarter of a teaspoon...

So I had to repot it completely for safety, it was the only option I had.

Some of the remaining leaves are browning from the tip (I suggest it's due to the stress of getting repotted 😢)
Consider they are still very young. Your low concentration fert may still be too high as that seems like the only variable that changed. With saplings and young plants, I typically use much much lower than the directions....maybe 25% or less.

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Remember this is not a bonsai - it is a seedling - get it growing strongly before you do anything to it...
Jacaranda flowers are really cool :cool:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Could be air movement? Still air is a potential set up for many different catastrophic rots and water molds. Add an inexpensive fan to the growing area, position it so the breeze is indirect. You want fine grassy leaves to gently wave a little. Stiff leaves might not move, but key is to have a buoyant atmosphere. This will keep various rots at bay, and allow oxygen to mix down into your potting mix. I have several 9 inch fans spaced around my indoor growing area, mostly orchids, some tropical bonsai. The fans were less than $20 each at local big box store. Fans should be on 24/7. Also fans will allow leaves to be closer to the lights with less danger of leaves overheating.

It is also abnormal for plants, seedlings, to experience constant temperatures. Most trees will be much healthier if daytime is 15 to 20 degrees F (or roughly 7 to 10 degrees C) warmer than the night. The day night temperature changes allow the tree to accumulate energy to grow.

Bonsai_Rookie

Sapling
Reaction score
Could be air movement? Still air is a potential set up for many different catastrophic rots and water molds. Add an inexpensive fan to the growing area, position it so the breeze is indirect. You want fine grassy leaves to gently wave a little. Stiff leaves might not move, but key is to have a buoyant atmosphere. This will keep various rots at bay, and allow oxygen to mix down into your potting mix. I have several 9 inch fans spaced around my indoor growing area, mostly orchids, some tropical bonsai. The fans were less than $20 each at local big box store. Fans should be on 24/7. Also fans will allow leaves to be closer to the lights with less danger of leaves overheating.

It is also abnormal for plants, seedlings, to experience constant temperatures. Most trees will be much healthier if daytime is 15 to 20 degrees F (or roughly 7 to 10 degrees C) warmer than the night. The day night temperature changes allow the tree to accumulate energy to grow.
Thank you! I'll think about adding fans!

Top Bottom