Purple Gem Rhododendron Branch Selection

zooley

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
When at one of the big box hardware stores picking up some Dremel bits for a daiza project, I found some Purple Gem Rhododendrons on sale. Most were multi-trunk but I actually found one with a single trunk that I felt had some nice movement. So, I decided to give it a shot. I took off 2 inches of mulch and the bottom 2-3 inches of soil where the roots weren't even extending (just to reiterate, I did not remove any root). Almost all the flowers were spent, so I deadheaded it. But, that's all the work that has been done so far. I was staring at the trunk and there are two branches conflicting with each other. One is small and more horizontal with a Y split around the other, larger branch. I'm trying to decide on which to remove (a couple quick and ugly Photoshops for each option are attached). Thoughts?

I've only really worked with conifers up to now and am new to Rhododendron. I feel like I want to cut off all the new growth but aren't sure if that'd be detrimental at this point in the season. I've got some reading to do (threads, books, etc) but any advice is always appreciated.

Side view of both branches on the right-side:
IMG_5914.png
The Y split of the smaller branch running around the larger:
IMG_5913.png
Photoshop: Removing the larger branch (not exact as this would probably remove a significant amount of foliage on the right side as well):
IMG_5914_remove-large.png
Photoshop: Removing the smaller branch:
IMG_5914_remove-small.png

Spinning 'round, right round:
IMG_5908.pngIMG_5909.pngIMG_5910.pngIMG_5911.pngIMG_5912.png

Nice little purple flowers:

IMG_5915.png

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pretty much the same as an azalea. It has nice little flowers. It can basically be handled the same way. (It’s wood may be a bit harder, if so overwire as needed when wiring)

First thing to do is order some Top Jin and some of the brown cut paste with the green top, white bottom.

Next -as it’s too late to rootwash, instead go through the entire superstructure and reduce every single junction to two sub branches.

When you get to the flower sites, take the new growth down to two close new branches… remove all the rest. Cut flush with the surface, conforming to the larger trunk.

Finally go over what’s left on the entire tree and look for branches that appear out of the design parameters. Mark these with pipe cleaners for removal next year as you’ll likely need extra photosynthetic surfaces for this year.

Do not wait on this one. Do it right off. Go to every cut site and cover the wounds with Top Jin. Come back once the Top Jin has dried, put cut putty on every wound whose diameter is about 1/4” over the Top Jin.

Wire only as necessary to give a primary structure

put in morning only sun, afternoon shade.

cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom