Pushing down branch with a wood wedge?

Africanherbman

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi, I saw someone do this before and decided to do it today on a trident. I want to bring that branch down a bit and become more horizontal, so I stuck a piece of a take out chopstick between the branch and the trunk. Should there be any kind of padding at the points of contact? I know I've already put it in there, but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks
Stanley

Attachments

• 20220119_150241.jpg
    20220119_150241.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 113

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ha Ha...chop sticks and tooth picks are my two preferred weapons for redirecting branches. I never 'pad' it...just stick the sharp point into the bark, so it can grip. The little mark it leaves will quickly grow over.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Wood braces used in conjunction with wiring and guy wires work wonders. I did use some padding as the bottom of the branch has some deadwood and therefore is a bit compromised. I tend to use chopsticks as they're easy to cut to the appropriate length.IMG_6420.jpgIMG_6421.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lady I work with does this using wine corks that she carves on, works pretty well!

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like (real) corks from wine bottles. They swell a little bit in outdoor conditions but it has built in padding and a slow push on the branch. Obviously those synthetic (rubber?) corks work to but they don't swell and cant be easily cut away. Besides supporting the cork industry is fairly important

Africanherbman

Sapling
Reaction score
Doesn't have to be wood. I've even used rocks :) This works well if you are trying to separate two very thick trunks.

Of course this raises the question... why are you keeping that branch? :)
Possibly trying to turn this tree into a twin trunk, we'll see, but I want to keep it for now.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Possibly trying to turn this tree into a twin trunk, we'll see, but I want to keep it for now.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Too high for a twin trunk... unless you are planning an air-layer. And if you were planning a twin trunk, you shouldn't be bending it out like that.

Just think about it as you plan your path forward...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’ve used unpadded 1/2” pvc carved concave on on both ends for a JM I have in my landscape. Works great !
I like the idea of the tooth pic also!

Africanherbman

Sapling
Reaction score
Too high for a twin trunk... unless you are planning an air-layer. And if you were planning a twin trunk, you shouldn't be bending it out like that.

Just think about it as you plan your path forward...
I will most likely airlayer this tree. I've tended to like twin trunks with a more obtuse angle between the 2 trunks so that what I'm going for. Also, I plan on making this a good bit larger tree. It's in a small pot right now because I only started bonsai last year and did not know anything, so potted it in what you see now. Since I repotted it last year, I'm gonna wait till next year to repot again, most likely into a box. So as the tree gets bigger, I thought a larger angle would work better. But you may be right, we will see. I will always welcome suggestions though, as I said, only started last year, and honestly all I did last year was try to keep my trees alive. Is your suggestion to not bend the branch down that way just for aesthetic reasons for the twin trunk form? Or was it something else?

Thanks!

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
i use a thicker gauge wire and cut the ends so they have pointed ends. It works for simple jobs like the original posters and gives some use to all the wire scraps I have around.

Top Bottom