Puss filled sacks on Chinese elm bark - need i be worried?

sja

Seed
Reaction score
Hi All,

Discovered some black filled puss sacks on the bark of my chinese elm. What are they, and should i be worried?

Thanks!b1.jpgb2.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Scale insects. The 'pus' is the insect that is hiding under the protective shell.
And yes you should be worried. In small numbers not much harm but the insects under those little lids are sucking the sap..... and laying lots of eggs. larger numbers will take a lot of strength from your tree and may even kill it.

Squash them as you see them but most people get sick of doing that well before they are all gone and tiny ones just keep growing up.
Best treatment is with systemic insecticide but you don't have a location in your profile so not sure what will be available to you.
Look for other treatments for scale insect and deal with them before it gets too bad.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Scale...get rid of the Scale...they multiple and spread. Look closely for any helmet shapes. You can clear them off and then spray some help on the tree and nearby trees. I’ve used Neem successfully (After cleaning them off branches. That helmet protects the insects under it. The helmet and insects need to be removed)

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The first stage of life for scale has wings. They don't fly as a first choice, but if the branch they are born on is crowded they can just let go and drift with the breeze to the next sucker. Or suckee, as it were. They are very tiny at that stage and you can't see them until they get to the bloated stage. I've probably made your day, or at least given you lots more to do today.

Reactions: sja

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Spraying the entire tree with a weak solution of dish washing detergent and water will help. The soapy residue suffocates the scale. You will still need to physically remove scale, and repeat the soapy spray several times. Combine with a systemic insecticide for best results.

Reactions: sja

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you wash them down they will be nice and clean. If you don't take these seriously you will have them everywhere. The words, "Kill them all" needs to enter your vocabulary, or these demons will win. You need to kill those that are there, and all the spawn, and prevent them from coming back. Spray with a hort oil, and spray with a pesticide, and apply a systemic to everything that was in close association. They are hermaphrodite, so if one survives and breeding season comes along there is no convenient male, she it will do without help. One, is an invasion. They exude honeydew, so look for shinny, sticky leaves everywhere nearby and remember they are very tiny when young so you need to be on watch for some time.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Amazon won't ship the Bayer 3 in 1. To me any more.. I was wondering if it was a Maryland thing. My bonsai are safe from scale so far, but one our house plants got hit pretty hard by scale and a little ants nest.

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Amazon won't ship the Bayer 3 in 1. To me any more.. I was wondering if it was a Maryland thing. My bonsai are safe from scale so far, but one our house plants got hit pretty hard by scale and a little ants nest.
I am getting some today! I use the granules. California here.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You must be a deadbeat, I just checked and it's free delivery with prime.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Powder or spray? It says something about hazardous materials for me.
I just looked again and there are umpteen kinds of concentrate, granular, sprays, el at. If they list it, either they have to ship it to you, or you have to go get it. I don't understand? Anything that is solvent based might be restricted to non-air shipments, but that's the only caveat.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I guess I was trying to avoid a trip to Home Depot. Amazon not letting me order or pick up.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Looks like gloomy scale. Imidacloprid is not effective against armored scales like GS. Dormant oils before growing season and follow up with an insecticide targeting the crawlers.

Mechanical removal may be possible on a small tree.

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like gloomy scale. Imidacloprid is not effective against armored scales like GS. Dormant oils before growing season and follow up with an insecticide targeting the crawlers.

Mechanical removal may be possible on a small tree.
I have successfully used imidacloprid against armored scales. Both on my trees and on a commercial agricultural scale.

It must be applied as a drench to work properly when sprayed on the foliage it is much less effective.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I have successfully used imidacloprid against armored scales. Both on my trees and on a commercial agricultural scale.

It must be applied as a drench to work properly when sprayed on the foliage it is much less effective.
Was the imidicloprid drench the sole chemical used for management or were these in conjunction with other applications (ie IPM)? Were you able to confirm these were armored scales?

I work with one of the most well respected plant pathology labs in the USA, and they have found imidicloprid to not be a viable chemical to manage armored scales. Other research points to confirm this and it has been mine and my peers experience as well. It is however effective against soft scales.

Top Bottom