Pussy willow suggestions.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So I have this willow i planted many years ago. When planted it was planted on a bucket lid so I'm hoping the roots will be okish. I was just going to leave it in the ground. I cut it back in early spring and now its flushed everywhere. My made mention it was intruding on her roses so I guess thats her way of saying it needs to go. I can trim it back and keep her happy for a bit. Any suggestions on going forward. I will get some better pics. I thought I had more.20220423_181504.jpg

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wasn't as easy as going outside and taking some pics. I cut it back again. What a weed.
20220603_140419.jpg20220603_140530.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
First suggestion is to give up on pussy willow for bonsai. They grow so fast it is hard to manage as bonsai. Also cannot cope with even slightly dry so I keep losing branches and get die back in hot weather.
If you can cope with those problems here are some suggestions:
Chop harder. Second section of any trunk looks better when shorter than the previous section so those long branches need to be chopped shorter than the first part of the trunk. This should also give temporary relief from the execution order issued by the rose gardener.
Remove some branches. Lots of branches growing at on place will thicken the trunk. You already have some reverse taper and it will get rapidly worse if all those branches stay. With this one in particular I can't see any way to reduce the cluster of branches without leaving large scars that won't look good.

Given that willow grow branches really quick I would probably remove all branches to leave just a trunk line then develop branches more suitable thickness for the trunk from whatever buds appear after pruning.

Good luck with the project.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Will cut back today. To me i don't really care. But after getting it out of the ground its ether put it in a pot or burn pile. Whips grow long and fast I may use it to practice approach and thread grafts. Thanks for the reply.
First suggestion is to give up on pussy willow for bonsai. They grow so fast it is hard to manage as bonsai. Also cannot cope with even slightly dry so I keep losing branches and get die back in hot weather.
If you can cope with those problems here are some suggestions:
Chop harder. Second section of any trunk looks better when shorter than the previous section so those long branches need to be chopped shorter than the first part of the trunk. This should also give temporary relief from the execution order issued by the rose gardener.
Remove some branches. Lots of branches growing at on place will thicken the trunk. You already have some reverse taper and it will get rapidly worse if all those branches stay. With this one in particular I can't see any way to reduce the cluster of branches without leaving large scars that won't look good.

Given that willow grow branches really quick I would probably remove all branches to leave just a trunk line then develop branches more suitable thickness for the trunk from whatever buds appear after pruning.

Good luck with the project.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
After the cut down. Probably going to cut some more limbs out20220606_191357.jpg

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wonder if I can sell these on ebay for rare advanced pre bonsai cuttings? :)20220606_191403.jpg

Top Bottom