Putting it all out there…

Paul G

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Everyone,

I’ve posted in dribs and drabs since coming back to Bonsai this year, and now I’d like to put everything I’ve got going out there and see what you all have to say.

Any advice and criticism would be most appreciated:)

This first pic is a scotty I grew from a seedling my first time around. I had no idea what I was doing, and as you can see, I let the wire bite in too long. Still, this guy survived several years of neglect and Michigan winters, so he’s my favorite. I’m hoping to do better by my next crop…

IMG_1861.JPG

This leads to my next pic. I got 21 scotts and 21 mugo from a nursery in Washington. Should I cut back this year, or let them grow for a while? I never cut back on my previous Scotts, and I ended up with several knuckles, but I don’t want to cut if it’s too soon. Same question on wiring. My inclination is to wait a year. What do you think?

IMG_1853.jpg
IMG_1854.JPG

I also ordered a big batch of JBP seedlings from Johnsteen’s. I was a bit disappointed, as each had nearly ten inches of bare trunk before the growth begins. As you can see, I wired most of them, but I’m not sure what to expect in the future. I’ve been reading Jonas’s back catalog from the blog, and his stock and mine don’t have a lot in common. What would you guys do?

IMG_1856.JPGIMG_1857.jpg

Last are my cuttings. I have shimpaku, procumbens, JWP, and scotts. Most everything has a thin layer of granite top dressing to hold the media below in place. I did a bit of experimenting, as I’ve never grown cuttings (not counting the jade leaves I’ve stuck in potting soil for my third-graders). One third are in straight perlite, another third are in straight turface, and the final third are in a 50/50 mix of the two. They all got a dip in rooting hormone. Half got a straight cut to expose the cambium, and the rest got a gentle ¼ peel at the end with a sharp xacto. Predictions?

IMG_1858.JPGIMG_1859.JPGIMG_1860.JPG

Thanks in advance for your comments! I’ve really enjoyed sharing in your progress during my time lurking on this site, but I rarely commented because I’m still learning and I didn’t think I had anything to add. Hopefully that will change as my little guys grow and develop.

Cheers,

Paul

IMG_1851.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll be very interested in how the Scots pine cuttings do.
Southeast Michigan huh?
Have you looked into the Four Seasons Bonsai Club?
Also have you heard of Telly's nursery?

Paul G

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll be very interested in how the Scots pine cuttings do.
Southeast Michigan huh?
Have you looked into the Four Seasons Bonsai Club?
Also have you heard of Telly's nursery?

Yes to both. Got most of my indoor stuff from either Telly's or the Flower Market in Dundee.

LCD35

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What nursery in Washington did you get the Scots and Mugo from? Boise nurseries tend to have more deciduous, so conifer seedlings have been hard to find locally. I did get a nice group of Japanese Red Pine from International Bonsai in the above from my brother.

Paul G

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What nursery in Washington did you get the Scots and Mugo from? Boise nurseries tend to have more deciduous, so conifer seedlings have been hard to find locally. I did get a nice group of Japanese Red Pine from International Bonsai in the above from my brother.

Scenic Hill Farm, although my order came via Ebay. Very happy with the quality of the stock and the shipping time.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi Everyone,

I’ve posted in dribs and drabs since coming back to Bonsai this year, and now I’d like to put everything I’ve got going out there and see what you all have to say.

Any advice and criticism would be most appreciated:)

This first pic is a scotty I grew from a seedling my first time around. I had no idea what I was doing, and as you can see, I let the wire bite in too long. Still, this guy survived several years of neglect and Michigan winters, so he’s my favorite. I’m hoping to do better by my next crop…

View attachment 237285

This leads to my next pic. I got 21 scotts and 21 mugo from a nursery in Washington. Should I cut back this year, or let them grow for a while? I never cut back on my previous Scotts, and I ended up with several knuckles, but I don’t want to cut if it’s too soon. Same question on wiring. My inclination is to wait a year. What do you think?

View attachment 237286
View attachment 237287

I also ordered a big batch of JBP seedlings from Johnsteen’s. I was a bit disappointed, as each had nearly ten inches of bare trunk before the growth begins. As you can see, I wired most of them, but I’m not sure what to expect in the future. I’ve been reading Jonas’s back catalog from the blog, and his stock and mine don’t have a lot in common. What would you guys do?

View attachment 237289View attachment 237290

Last are my cuttings. I have shimpaku, procumbens, JWP, and scotts. Most everything has a thin layer of granite top dressing to hold the media below in place. I did a bit of experimenting, as I’ve never grown cuttings (not counting the jade leaves I’ve stuck in potting soil for my third-graders). One third are in straight perlite, another third are in straight turface, and the final third are in a 50/50 mix of the two. They all got a dip in rooting hormone. Half got a straight cut to expose the cambium, and the rest got a gentle ¼ peel at the end with a sharp xacto. Predictions?

View attachment 237291View attachment 237292View attachment 237293

Thanks in advance for your comments! I’ve really enjoyed sharing in your progress during my time lurking on this site, but I rarely commented because I’m still learning and I didn’t think I had anything to add. Hopefully that will change as my little guys grow and develop.

Cheers,

Paul

View attachment 237294
I have no help for your questions, but I just wanted to say that those are some really excellent looking benches.

Top Bottom