Putting the Ancient into the Tree

Reaction score
So, originally this tree was about 3 feet tall when I first got it out of the ground. It went through a couple of stages of it being cut lower and lower, as I was disatified with the height and the way in which the tree was going.

I then got out my dremel and hollowed it out and added the hole on the right side. The inside was then torched and set on fire, to give a appearance of an old tree.

This weekend I added to the look of an old cypress by giving it it's first of many more to come lime sulfur bleaching. As well I did a wash of sumie ink on the interior of the hollow.

Over time the brightness of the sulfur and the ink will tone down giving a much more natural appearance.

Reactions: Vin
Reaction score
That's quite a site! Are the three roots coming out of the trunk on the left live?
The bottom sides of two are... third one is dead. one of the things that will often happen with these, if they have roots such as this, is that the top side if the root will die, and the bottom quarter will remain alive.

The deadwood tops will at a later time will have some carving done to them. To give cracks and veins in the deadwood. Which I have found actually works quite well if one uses an xato knife.

Reaction score
Also, forgot to mention in my second post, that the back of the hollow I dremeled out goes all the way through. So one can see daylight through it.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Stacy, I think I caught a dozen specks near the roots on the left side of that Bald Cypress ! I was using live minnows on my crappie buster pole, it was a great morning.

ed

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've lived in south Florida for a few years back in the early 80's. I don't recall any magnificent sightings of Bald Cypress. I've lived in North Florida for almost 30 years and if you ever get a chance to visit the area, please put the Choctawhatchee River and the Dead Lakes on your list of inspirational places to see. I promise you will thank me. Here is a link on the Dead Lakes: http://www.visitgulf.com/Wewahitchka

3d44f1febb76c2c655ae06699599a83c.jpg 644.jpg deadlakes2.jpg

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You weren't using your cane pole?

Crappie buster is a fiberglass pole that extends to about 12 feet with a small reel, its used like a cane pole with the reel just being there for when one pulls out some line.
I was not wearing my peasant robe either . lol
ed

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've lived in south Florida for a few years back in the early 80's. I don't recall any magnificent sightings of Bald Cypress. I've lived in North Florida for almost 30 years and if you ever get a chance to visit the area, please put the Choctawhatchee River and the Dead Lakes on your list of inspirational places to see. I promise you will thank me. Here is a link on the Dead Lakes: http://www.visitgulf.com/wewahitchka

Vin, there are several trees that look like Stacy's tree along the St. Johns river. There is one amazing old one that looks as if it was twisted by a tornado at one time. The idiots who ride their boats at 40 knots hitting manatees also erode the banks so many have exposed roots while others are falling over, its a damned shame.

ed

Reaction score
Thanks for posting up the link and pictures Vin! When i was in the scouts we did a trip to the Choctawhatchee River and the Dead Lakes and went out in canoes. Great inspiration in some of those pics for BC bonsai! Hope some of the others check it out and get busy on their trees!

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Reaction score
Where in FL are you at? Cause 7 hours from me in Tampa puts me in Alabama , Georgia, or on my way to Key West!

Reaction score
Side note... this winter and the following spring Kawa puts on a very awesome convention! Small place, but some of the best bonsai in the US on display. And headliners are always awesome! So, you could make a nice trip of it.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Crappie buster is a fiberglass pole that extends to about 12 feet with a small reel, its used like a cane pole with the reel just being there for when one pulls out some line.
I was not wearing my peasant robe either . lol
ed
Dead lakes is one of the top crappie lakes in Florida. Love catching and eating them too!

Reaction score
BC1a.jpg

Thought I would share an updated pic I took tonight, 5 months on from the pic I posted with the opening of the thread.
Coming along nicely... starting to look for a pot for it. At the time of reducing at down from the growing container I had no clue of what size pot I was going to be able to actually get it into. I removed about 95 percent of the roots and the current pot was the only thing I had on hand, so in it went!

Top Bottom