Pvc green house

BUBBAFRGA

Mame
Reaction score
Has anyone used Conduit instead of PVC pipe in a HOOP GREENHOUSE? I have had two differnet types of PVC Greenhouses of the years. End of last season big store rain crushed my last PVC greenhouse. Having to build a new one last year. Most of pvc was broken becuase it had become weaking from UV light.

Pricing and UV resistance goes to Conduit but not sure if it is ridget enough....anyone has any every used Conduit?

Any suggestions would be appreicated.

Steve DaSilva

Seedling
Reaction score
I use EMT electrical conduit for shade structures .It has held up well.

BUBBAFRGA

Mame
Reaction score
Thank you

Harry- Thanks for link to chris---i say this on Facebook first. Chris is in my network. He used metal I am using plastic pipe.

Francis

Brent

Mame
Reaction score
i have built a number of structures from PVC pipe and several of them are still in use today. My PVC hoop shadehouses are now over 15 years old and still in perfect shape. I went through several permutations before finding a formula that worked.

First, don't use anything less than 1 1/4 inch Sch 40 PVC. Anything smaller is too easily bent and crushed. Over 1 1/4 is overkill and there is a quantum leap in price. 20 foot lengths of PVC can be bent to form a thirteen to fourteen wide house with just over a six foot ceiling at the middle. Trying to lengthen the pipe to get it taller is pretty much futile and will make it weaker. Also, trying to get more arch than that will make it weaker.

There are any number of ways to anchor into the ground. I use 1 inch EMT stubs hammered into the earth and then held in place with a treated 2x4 and pipe straps. The ends of the PVC are simply slipped over the pipe, no attachment necessary as the pylons and covering will hold it down. Pylons (longitudinal wires or pipe) will keep the correct separation at the top and give it structural strength. For my greenhouse that must take a little snowload, I used 1/2 EMT and used 3 of threm. The shade houses are 96 feet long and pipe is too expensive, so I used high tensile strenth vineyard wire with ground anchors and wire grippers to hold the wire in place. The wire then locks the PVC in position by a self tapping screw and washer. I use 2 wires running the entire lenth. This system has been in place for almost ten years, but was built from the PVC of the old shade hoop house and most of it is 15 years or older.

Greenhouses require a bit more work. I used pipe pylons as mentioned. I also used pipe diagonals on the corners to keep it upright since there is no wire to do the job as in the hoop houses. I also use double wall plastic covering. This achieves two things: it insulated better since you have a dead airlayer, and it also makes the wall stiffer since it is puffed up with air. This also keeps the wind from flapping against the PVC which greatly weakens it.

The only UV problem I have had is that the greenhouse often gets very hot, especially when not in use and the south side PVC starts to turn brown then black from the UV and heat. This in turn heats the film to an unacceptable temperature and breaks it down where it touches the black PVC. My UV resistant film has still lasted four years, but I could have got another year or two if I had covered the top edge of the south half of the PVC with white felt. This felt is commercially available fro TEKsupply.com, as well as film and everything else greenhouse wise. I will use the felt this spring when replacing the film. Oddly enough, using a double wall involves very little more work than a single wall, but you must install a special inflation fan to keep it inflated. These run about $50 from OVG.com. Creative people can probably figure out how to use a processor coolong fan. These are very small fans that run continuously for years.

End walls and doors can be bult out of 2x4 materail, which makes double walling them easy, cover them inside and out with film. Floors are easiest if you use woven ground cloth to keep out the weeds and collect heat in winter since it is black. Put down a layer of gravel or sand first to keep it from getting muddy and make sure it is above grade.

There are a lot more details of course, but if you are doing this yourself you are probably talented enough to figure out the soutions.

Brent
EvergreenGardenworks.com
see our blog at http://www.BonsaiNurserymay.typepad.com

Attachments

• cuttingss.jpg
    cuttingss.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 45

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Thank You for posting this Brent!

Top Bottom