Pygmy Cypress re - style

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I re-styled this pygmy cypress today. Trying to go for the natural coastal cypress look. I'm thinking of putting it on a coastal looking rock or possibly something like a Hoshaw rustic pot. Ideas?

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I re-styled this pygmy cypress today. Trying to go for the natural coastal cypress look. I'm thinking of putting it on a coastal looking rock or possibly something like a Hoshaw rustic pot. Ideas?

I love where you are going with this one and the movement on the canopy.

Just looked up those pots, I dig them! The slanted pot could help you imply that movement of the coastal wind. But I think I’d shy away from anything too heavy or heavily textured to avoid overpowering the more slender trunk.

With regard to coastal style, I think less foliage mass with more defined breaks. Seems like all the Cypress trees I see that make an impact on me have such flat, flowing “pads”. Maybe slightly less height on the apex and break up the foliage between the apex and the branch that is between the left trunk. Also use mass of the apex to move left with the left trunk in the direction of wind blowing off the water.

But, well done! I think you already have the 90% design solution for a great tree!

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is a Pygmy. But I have a regular Monterey that needs the primary branches wired and large cut backs. I’m coastal SoCal and was thinking of doing this work late Feb as our night temps climb back above 50F. I need to maximize backbudding and stimulation of the interiors on the primaries.

Any thoughts on best timing?

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
This is a Pygmy. But I have a regular Monterey that needs the primary branches wired and large cut backs. I’m coastal SoCal and was thinking of doing this work late Feb as our night temps climb back above 50F. I need to maximize backbudding and stimulation of the interiors on the primaries.

Any thoughts on best timing?
Your plan sounds good to me. I do big cuts when the tree is growing

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 274066

I’m not familiar with the natural coastal cypress look but was immediately reminded of the natural mountain juniper look😀.
77599CDF-D64F-4C1F-A114-74A2343BC3A0.jpeg

Top Bottom