Pyracantha Air Layer

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello Friends,

I live in London. My neighbour told me that they are going to remove their Payracantha early next spring. So I air-layered some branches of it, only yesterday. What are the chances that it will at the very least form some elementary roots before winter sets in? Will rooting harmone help to expedite this? If so any preferred/suggested brand which works on Pyracantha?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Why not help your neighbors by digging out their pyracantha now? This (now through September) is a good time to do it.

You just need to make an educated guess for the size pot you need to have (use a conventional pot, not a bonsai pot at the is point). I'll just hazard a guess that it is a bit big and unruly to handle and get around to dig out. Cut it back only as much as is necessary to get it out of the ground and focus on digging out all the roots you can. Keep in in part shade for the first couple of weeks afterward or morning sun and afternoon shade. Secure it into the pot in some way so that it won't move in the pot should you bump into it, for example. After a couple of weeks you can introduce it to as full of sun exposure as you have available.

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks Osoyoung for reply. I will do that digging out eventually as the last option and can do that even next spring. The tree is too wild to be translocated in full. However it has some interesting branches and I wanted to make good used of them.

I cannot ask them to do this early. They want to lay their front with bricks and so they will do it when they ha e funds, probably.

Any idea how the air layered branch will do? Someone did this in August ?

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
My guess is it will depend a lot if there is enough foliage above the layer and if there is still six to eight weeks of growing season left. Worst case is you leave them on until next season as late as possible and cut when you have to and hope for the best. Good luck.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had pyracantha push roots in as little as three weeks. You can also take pretty thick cuttings, put them just in water and get roots in a few weeks. You've got a good shot at it.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I hear these can be planted as cuttings. Large cuttings.

Top Bottom