Pyracantha and General Pruning and Removing Flowers/Berries For Growing-on

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I recently bought this young nursery pyracantha 'teton' as I thought it had an interesting trunk line, nice tight foliage/nodes and good sacrificial branches.
IMG20220120162030.jpgIMG20220120162150.jpg
I plan to hard prune in spring/summer, to reduce the potential inverse taper points, then allow to grow on for a few years either in a larger container or in the ground (if I can find some space o_O).

I read a general horticulture article for pyracantha, to prune in May (in the UK), as you can tell which branches will host the flowers and berries. I assume they say this, as most people want to keep the shrub aesthetically pleasing all year round. Or is there another reason to keep the berries on shrubs and trees? I kept most berries on the cotoneasters for the birds, but they don't seem to want to eat them anyway.

Does it make much difference to remove all/some flowers or then fruit, for the vigour of the plants one hopes to grow-on? I don't mind removing all flowers and fruit if it means a faster and healthier growing specimen. But I can imagine it depends on overall condition of the tree, species and size of fruit.
Furthermore, I also heard, that plants produce more fruit when stressed, as a sort of last chance to spread mechanism, is this true?

And lastly, does anyone know if the small, tight foliage is just a sign of youth and receiving full sun; or is it generally what this variety of pyracantha produces?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Treat it like a weed and it will thrive. Don't bother taking off flower or fruit. It's not going to make any difference on a pyracantha.
I wouldn't put it in the ground but a large pot will work fine. If you put it in the ground it may be tough getting it back up.
Not true of many plants but it is here.

Top Bottom