Pyracantha disease/pests

Moneo

Seed
Reaction score
Hey all!

My Pyracantha has yellow-ish leaves with some weird brown dots, also something is obviously munching on them, but I couldn't find anything after around an hour of close inspection.

Then I found these little insects (first picture - is it scale insect?), but I don't think they eat the leaves.

The bonsai is outdoors in afternoon sun, watered generously.

So what shall I do here? I bought some systemic insecticide pins that you should stick into the soil (no spraying). But is it gonna be enough as my soil has great drainage? Or do I have to buy the spray? And how do I prevent something to eat my leaves?

I'm really desperate :-(IMG_20200416_181711.jpgIMG_20200416_181711.jpgIMG_20200416_062539.jpgIMG_20200416_062527.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks like a scale insect, yes. It you only have a few, just scrape them off.

The leaves that are discolored appear to be old leaves, which pyracantha tend to shed around this time of year...assuming you’re in spring.

Moneo

Seed
Reaction score
Looks like a scale insect, yes. It you only have a few, just scrape them off.

The leaves that are discolored appear to be old leaves, which pyracantha tend to shed around this time of year...assuming you’re in spring.

Thank you for your advice. I saw just a few yesterday and I made certain they don't live anymore!

It's a good news about the leaves, I was worried it's some other disease (and yes, spring is starting now).

I put salt around the pot overnight and so far untouched. And I don't think it lives in the soil as I repotted the tree last weekend (the damage was there even before)

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Yellow leaves is a common reaction for pyracantha after repotting. Many of the leaves will drop off but new ones will grow.
Something is eating the leaves. It could be a smaller insect or a larger herbivore that visits at night or day. Keep an eye on the tree this summer. If damage continues to new leaves you may need to make a cage to protect it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
This tree should be outdoors for growing.

Pyracantha are in the rose family, related to apples (Malus) and other members of the rose family. The "all in one" rose sprays that are used for hybrid tea roses will work without harming your Pyracantha. They are intended to be used outdoors, the "all in one" rose sprays are not labelled for indoor use.

Those leaves look like you have several things going on, scale insects for certain, but also perhaps spider mite or false spider mites and possibly a secondary fungal infections taking advantage of wounds the insects made. An "all in one" spray will cover all your bases.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My pyracantha often get aphids but not much else. The big risk with them is fireblight, a bacterial infection that really has no cure. So far so good with mine. Your issues are definitely NOT fireblight.

Moneo

Seed
Reaction score
Those leaves look like you have several things going on, scale insects for certain, but also perhaps spider mite or false spider mites and possibly a secondary fungal infections taking advantage of wounds the insects made. An "all in one" spray will cover all your bases.

Wow... Thank you very much!

I know for a fact that there is a spider living on the tree. But I read somewhere that it's actually good, because it's catching the insects you don't want to have there. So shall I remove it? I'm buying the spray right now.
EDIT: I found two tiny spiders and I killed them. I've been seeing a bigger one for last couple days which I cannot locate atm. Maybe he's gone. As for the scale insects, I removed few tiny ones (like on the picture) and I haven't seen any new ones since then. I check the tree every morning, afternoon and after nightfall. But I'm defo buying the spray now.

Thank you very much for your insight!

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b

I know for a fact that there is a spider living on the tree. But I read somewhere that it's actually good, because it's catching the insects you don't want to have there. So shall I remove it? I'm buying the spray right now.
EDIT: I found two tiny spiders and I killed them. I've been seeing a bigger one for last couple days which I cannot locate atm. Maybe he's gone. As for the scale insects, I removed few tiny ones (like on the picture) and I haven't seen any new ones since then. I check the tree every morning, afternoon and after nightfall. But I'm defo buying the spray now.

Spider mites, not spiders.

Leave the spiders

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Spider mites are extremely small, smaller the the size of this . period. Very difficult to see, with my 65 year old eyes I can't see them, I just recognize the damage they do.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There is a whole family of plant juice sucking mites, spider mites, false spider mites, flat mites, 2 spotted mites and more. All are tiny, all do damage. There are one or two predatory mites that eat their plant juice sucking brethren, but they never seem to be around when you need them. They have 8 legs, just like the significantly larger distant cousins, and like true spiders are not affected by most pesticides designed for insects. This is why you have to use a pesticide that lists plant mites, or spider mites on the label. Otherwise you can't be sure whether it will work against spider mites.

Top Bottom