Pyracantha/Firethorn #3

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i agree that watering later in day can attract fungal problems, because the water doesnt dry off as quick. if watering later in day i would just try to wet the soil and not the entire tree. in the morning a full soak is better.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You can kinda see the fuzziness on the leaves.
This first pic I rubbed off the first half of the leaf.

DSC_0835 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0836 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0837 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_0838 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

Could so easily be mistaken for dust or sawdust or just maybe even calcium build up.

I water when I can. I do it daily but sometimes I'm not home till late.
Id prefer not to think what you say is true or else it would ruin my life :)
Just be proactive on fungal treatment...😉 For those late night waterings.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, I’ve always watered when home from work, no matter how late it is. I believe in rotation of fungicide and pest anyway, from spring till autumn. Better than not watering at all! Then they’d be dead :) lol.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Still growing and sending out fresh green.
DSC_0888 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0889 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

In terms of the mold, I believe it looks better but looking today still definitely there. So I used some neem oil. God it stinks, and had to really keep shaking the bottle, dilute the oil much more than originally thought.. but will see if that help.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nothing exciting going on here, just some before and after pruning.. One day I should probably spend more time on the tree. Next year Ill be repoting, hoping to sort some of the ugliness in the nebari and keep the good ugliness.

Branches are coming along well, some needed thickening, all cut back now, its just ramification needed.

Before:
DSC_2143 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2144 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2145 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

After:
DSC_2155 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2156 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2159 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2160 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

Needs potting deeper in the substrate, for my liking.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nothing exciting, just posting for record.. In all honesty, not an overly exciting tree. Not as exciting as when I first saw it anyway. I have had a little thought today about planting it at an angle.. like 45 degree angle.. It won't be now as I want to keep the nice pot it is in, just plant it deeper but ill maybe rotate the pot and see. Anyway, for now, structure and moving in to ramification. It'll be a nice little tree, pleasant to look at and the berries will be a bonus.

It was simply hard pruned back to promote back budding and ramification. Most or all were cut back to 2 buds. As hard was I wanted to go, the tree should be bullet proof.

DSC_2875 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2876 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2877 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_2879 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2881 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_2882 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Conor, that's looking really good. Put it in a good pot, build the ramification, and it's maybe 2 years away from being something you happily could put in a local show.
I'm looking for a shohin pyracantha at the moment, and if I saw that for sale I might well snap it up.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Conor, that's looking really good. Put it in a good pot, build the ramification, and it's maybe 2 years away from being something you happily could put in a local show.
I'm looking for a shohin pyracantha at the moment, and if I saw that for sale I might well snap it up.
What you trying to say about my pot Tom! :p. I'll have you know this pot was handed down by BobbyLane, and is many 1000s of days old. Antique (in days)!

Thanks for the reply, always enjoy hearing your comments. Glad you think it has good potential.
I plan to pot it a bit deeper in to this existing pot for now, as its a good size and I can work on ramifying roots more, then I can slip pot in to something nicer, when found.
The pruning was done on 7th Feb, this picture was taken yesterday. I always enjoy seeing how full of energy the species is, the back budding is easy.

1615378598121.png

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
1616955665883.png

This is why I tend to let my trees grow out a bit more than others might do, or take more time to be certain about the vigor or health of the tree. I want to be confident in the reaction. This is an easy species, to be fair, strong growing and good in my climate but I want to reach the stage where I can be confident like that with any species I work on. Now I have the luxury problem of removing some buds to help re-direct energy to where I want it. I only cut 3 branches on this one branch, on the left.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
More profuse back budding, will remove a lot of buds tomorrow, that are not needed. Redirect energy to those that are.
Gives me an excellent opportunity to have some inner branching and add further character to the tree, along with ramification.
I don't really have a personal fav front yet. Trunk and branching tell one story, but the linear nebari tell another.

DSC_3013 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_3014 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_3015 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_3017 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr DSC_3018 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_3019 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_3021 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

Top Bottom