Pyracantha (Firethorn) air layering right after repotting

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hey! I recently repotted a young pyracantha tree and did the first root work. The height of the tree doesn't suit me very much and I thought about making two trees from one using air layering after 1-2 weeks. Is it advisable to layer on a tree that has recently undergone repotting and root work? The roots will pump water into the layering, but the parent tree will not receive nutrients from the layering (a product of photosynthesis). Can this weaken the parent tree?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the tree is supporting the leaves all the way to the top then you have enough roots. The success of your air layer will depend on the amount of foliage above the layer site, so if that looks strong you're probably in good shape to go ahead. Pyracantha are tough, and layer easily.

Would be best to put some indication of your general location in your profile so people can give you more accurate advice. I'm assuming, for instance, that you're not still under freezing weather?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
There are no frosts and he was in shelter all winter. Before repotting, it looked like this, I liked its nebari, although there are not so many branches from below.
Height is about 50-60 cm (1.6-1.9 ft). I'm just sad to cut it off and throw it away :D

12520417109.3c4ee04a62c24783a3785462784c55db.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
These propagate pretty easily by cuttings too.
In my case, the trunk diameter at the top is about the thickness of a finger (slightly thinner than the thumb). Is it also easy to propagate?

Top Bottom