Pyracantha material

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just happened upon this huge pyracantha yesterday. Not the best time for collecting but it was going to be composted if not for me. I hope it survives the summer! Lots of potential in this one. It was very sandy sooil so I kept a some of the sandy stuff and mixed it with my diatomaceous earth. Should I fertilize or just leave it till next year?
IMG_8781.JPG IMG_8783.JPG IMG_8784.JPG IMG_8785.JPG IMG_8786.JPG IMG_8787.JPG

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sweet!

If it mine...it would go in dappled shade. Until it's recovered. Aftercare the best medicine...and watch those night time temps. Mine are where things will come into the greenhouse because of our microclimate I know it's to close to the line to risk. Always colder than forecast.

daudelus

Mame
Reaction score
Nice find! I think you not having to bare root completely gives it a great chance even past the season for collecting... I would give it some organic slow release (like espoma) after a few weeks... good luck!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That's an old one.. I have 2 large pyracantha at the end of my garden which have been there for at least 20+ years and their trunks are about the diameter of the thinner of your 2 trunks pictured above.

They are terrible for taper, practically don't create any from what I've seen of all the branchs and trunks of my pyracantha.
I air layered a branch off last year. It's nice and healthy but it has no potential at all! But that's more my fault.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Why cut the flowers off?
Mine had a load of flowers, looked great but they only last few weeks, mostly fallen off now. My big tree still looks great. Like it has a blanket of snow on it.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
looks fantastic, nice and beefy! I think I would have separated or lost the back straight trunk.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cut the flowers off?

Sorce
Yes I've read to cut the flowers off to use that energy for the rest of the tree. If the tree had a lot I would have cut them all off. The flowers in the pic are just about it. The rest of the tree is bare of flowers so I figured just keep them. Maybe I'll go cut them now

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
looks fantastic, nice and beefy! I think I would have separated or lost the back straight trunk.
Yes eventually I'll either carve or cut the second trunk but it might work out to keep it it. I'm just worried about it surviving at all now.
There is actually a nice lateral, spreading nebari that works well with both trunks just under the soil.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That's an old one.. I have 2 large pyracantha at the end of my garden which have been there for at least 20+ years and their trunks are about the diameter of the thinner of your 2 trunks pictured above.

They are terrible for taper, practically don't create any from what I've seen of all the branchs and trunks of my pyracantha.
I air layered a branch off last year. It's nice and healthy but it has no potential at all! But that's more my fault.
I see what you mean. This one was pruned regularly over the years and the branches I cut off had great taper from repeated chopping and looked almost like bonsai on their own. I couldn't take it all to consider airlayering.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I see what you mean. This one was pruned regularly over the years and the branches I cut off had great taper from repeated chopping and looked almost like bonsai on their own. I couldn't take it all to consider airlayering.

Yeah my big ones are barely touched so they wouldn't build any taper, as yours had long term work on it I guess the taper is there due to that.
How long do your flowers last? Ours lasted maybe a week, not even. Now all gone.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I repotted this one yesterday and barely got it into this flat. I decided to get rid of the dead second trunk. I’ll need to figure out how to deal with that at next repotting.
Pic 2 is one of several potential air layers I’m planning
Pic 5&6 have red outlines of deadwood that I’m considering making a feature. Deadwood on these seems to rot so if anyone thinks this is a terrible idea then say so because if I’m never gonna use it then I would love to get rid of it already.
Pic 1,3,4 are potential fronts. I’ll probably carve the second trunk chop out the next repotting. Possible another front underneath the soil line as there is still some nebari hidden under the soil.
Ultimately would like to highlight the trunk/base and get all the branching close in making a powerful tree image. I also feel like maybe there is something artistic to be created using the existing branching and developing cascading pads etc.
There are some big branches that will be gone after the airlayer as well.
Would love some thoughts!

1CAA19CF-501E-40A2-A72D-5220F648573A.jpeg7BA78DA9-D498-4B09-9DB3-915CB1FDE291.jpeg43F5650F-F77E-471D-8611-3DC7281A7595.jpeg14269134-D44C-452F-B54D-696744E73819.jpeg55EBFEA0-29D5-4E24-98B6-71C67DD94DA4.jpegA5E7429A-2C64-4ECE-A1DD-819812C24100.jpeg9710E2FF-D51F-4EA7-B13A-CAE44E98A206.jpeg

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This tree is not thriving. I would let it recover some more.
The thing that you dont want is more dieback. From the last picture, it seems like you last that top right too?

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No just a different angle from the same deadwood.
I also did some branch selection and pruning to let light in and get buds closer in.
The tree was doing well after 2 years in the pot. There was more foliage yesterday.
Difficult tree to wrap your head around from pictures.

Top Bottom