Pyracantha, Past, Present and Future II

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
initially what was the story with this tree? I find it so hard to collect old pyracantha with any trunk movement like yours. Usually they just jump straight out and up until someone hacks it back and repeat for years.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was dug from a supermarket parking lot and had been hedge pruned for 5 decades, hence the strong trunk and gnarly look.

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On friday, I will have to dig up with some very old pyracantha that have been hedged for several decades...... too bad they want them dug out now, in, well practically July.... poor trees:( wish them luck!

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Branch Crossing

Here are the other sides. Right side, back, left side and a close up of the graft.

Cheers.

Smoke, What is the rule regarding branches on multiple trunk trees growing towards adjacent trunks? I've always heard that there should be no branches growing towards subsequent trunks. Is the front branch on the main trunk growing towards the secondary trunk? Just curious because I have a few trees that are starter material that I will make twin trunk and even a few three trunk trees. Trying to gather as much info on styling these as I can. Thanks

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Smoke, What is the rule regarding branches on multiple trunk trees growing towards adjacent trunks? I've always heard that there should be no branches growing towards subsequent trunks. Is the front branch on the main trunk growing towards the secondary trunk? Just curious because I have a few trees that are starter material that I will make twin trunk and even a few three trunk trees. Trying to gather as much info on styling these as I can. Thanks

Never heard of a rule. I have read many opinions. I feel that what ever captures your esscence is the right thing to do.

This whole rule thing is a huge myth propogated by those that feel their way is the only way. There are many opinons about bonsai and how they should be pruned, styled, displayed, etc., etc. Do what is pleasing for you and don't worry about the rest. everytime a tree is posted here, it is a reflection of ones soul. There will be those that see your soul, and there will be those that try and change it. Changing your soul to meet every person's feeling will keep you chopping, and pruning forever and never enjoying what it is you seek.

Last edited:

Erndogy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
There will be those that see your soul, and there will be those that try and change it. Changing your soul to meet every person's feeling will keep you chopping, and pruning forever and never enjoying what it is you seek.

That was deep Al..:)

Top Bottom