Pyracantha, Past , Present, and Future

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a year by year sequence of the bonsai life of a pyracantha. The sequence begins in 2003 to the present.

Thanks, Smoke

Attachments

• June12 2003.jpg
    June12 2003.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 604
  • Fall 2003.jpg
    Fall 2003.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 539
  • Spring 2004.JPG
    Spring 2004.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 580
  • march 2005.jpg
    march 2005.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 532
  • DSC_01441.JPG
    DSC_01441.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 624
Last edited:

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for this very interesting sequence. I have just bought a couple of pyracantha so this progression gives me some idea what I can expect. I just hope some of mine can turn out nearly as nice.

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
wow this is awesome. this is the kind of progression that i like to see on bonsai forums. can you give us a bit of what you did to get this tree to how it is today?

Ashbarns

Mame
Reaction score
Smoke a great history of this tree. The latest pic is superb the pot is as good as it gets, the stand is perfect. You are obviously going to be a great asset to this site.

Ash :D

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi Smoke, nice presentation on the pyracantha. I have one question between the picture representing fall 2003 (88) and spring 2004 (89), did you feed it steriods :) ? The growth is almost unbelievable. Nice job.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The latest pic is superb the pot is as good as it gets, the stand is perfect.

I really like this tree. I wonder if the stand and the pot harmonize as well as they could? As it currently stands (in my opinion) the stand is too light in color and does not contrast at all with the pot. Additionally, the pot is very formal, while the stand is less so. I love to do virtuals of pots and stands, and am wondering if there might be another solution out there?

Brent

Mame
Reaction score
Smoke

Nice tree. I think you should bring the canopy in. The third picture is where the outline should be in my opinion. This gives the trunk a lot more emphasis. I also like the pads a little more closed as in the third picture.

Brent
EvergreenGardenworks.com
see our blog at http://BonsaiNurseryman.typepad.com

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Curious what you think about this pot/stand combination. I keep think of pyracanthus and the berries - and wanting a nice contrast.

pyra1.jpg

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well Dave, the color of the table in your pic is about the color of the table. The picture shows a terrible flash burn which washes out the color. I like the pot you have shown and it is not unlike the oval unglazed Tokoname it was in a few years back. I like the shape and color of the present pot as well as the size. It provides just a small measure more room for roots here. This plant is a fast grower. During the past three years of grow out, I have root pruned it back to a cutting each time, leaving scant root tips barely 1/4 inch long in most cases.

Tachigi, Unless you have a pyracantha that is healthy and treated well, explaining how this much progress is possible on those few months is pointless. But the pictures don't lie. That is the sequence, and I have a small shohin pyracantha that is undergoing a layer to be seperated soon that will mirror the progress that this tree has taken. In all I have three pyracantha's under construction. All of them are hard growers and growth like this is nothing for this species. Much like pomagranites and elms, only faster!

smoke

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Chris, when gas gets back down to a buck a gallon and I can afford to see Boon 9 times a year. I very much enjoyed our visit at BIB. I hope you enjoyed your picture or stole mine.

Yours in Bonsai, Al

Attachments

• DSC_00161.JPG
    DSC_00161.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 293
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just remember, you don't have to make nine trips. 5 trips for 4 1/2 days makes the minimum! Or if you can find a place to stay overnite for free, you can do four workshops on one weekend! Lucky folks...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al,

Do you have any other views of this tree? It looks like a nice Shohin and as I Shohin lover, I'd like to see more.

Will

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Other views? Like what?

This is not a Shohin tree. It is a Chuhin tree. It is 16 inches tall from pot rim to apex. The tree is shown with a standard half gallon of milk.

Cheers, al

Attachments

• DSC_00471.JPG
    DSC_00471.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 250
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al, you should be ashamed of yourself here. That is not a very professional way to show the size of your tree. Everyone knows it should be a package of cigarettes. Silly.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry, I didn't have a pack of "Just" or "Hope" around.;) Two of Kimura's fav's.

Cheers, ak

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whatever handy works for me, beer can, carburetor, lighter, after all, who can find a ruler?

So Al, do you have any shots from the sides or rear of this tree? I'm greatly interested in the overall design you created here, a curiosity born from your progression shots.

Will

Top Bottom