Pyracantha, Past , Present, and Future

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks good, the shallow pot really makes the trunk look fat. Our winter here has been so mild, my pyracantha is covered with new growth, appears to be ahead of yours at this point...not normal.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update and prune back

Attachments

• DSC_00040001.jpg
    DSC_00040001.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 158

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Great progress and work - Thank you for that documentation :cool:

Grimmy

Deadwood

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is very nice, and leaves me nothing more than inspired. Thank you.

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Somehow I had missed this thread and read it this morning. Thanks, Smoke, for a great progression on this tree. Very nice work. Would like to see the tree in person. I always learn much by reading your threads.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree with all the new leaves.

Attachments

• DSC_00500002.JPG
    DSC_00500002.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 103

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was reading thru this thread tonight. I have no idea how I stayed with it. This is a tough bunch.

I thought I would put up a recent photo (tonite) of the tree. Just to keep the thread complete. Pot by Tanibanchi

DSC_00041.JPG

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That is a nice specimen Al...And I too am curious how you keep it so happy in such a narrow pot? Because everyone preached to me that mine needs a deep pot to be happy. And it's quite happy indeed. Even with sphagnum moss on the pot...Hot days I've noticed new growth wilts quickly and must water twice on days like that in a deep pot.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Smoke I have noticed you take night photos quite a bit. Do you use front lighting or just flash of the camera or phone?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looks good.
I have one that i have to carve soon and this gave me a starting point

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is a nice specimen Al...And I too am curious how you keep it so happy in such a narrow pot? Because everyone preached to me that mine needs a deep pot to be happy. And it's quite happy indeed. Even with sphagnum moss on the pot...Hot days I've noticed new growth wilts quickly and must water twice on days like that in a deep pot.
It is in full sun here too. Over 100 everyday. Just have to have the right soil. I do water at 10 AM and 5PM.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks good.
I have one that i have to carve soon and this gave me a starting point
Try and carve as little as possible. I lost a good one to Coral Spot after carving - they heal poorly. It's the only tree I have ever lost through disease.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Smoke I have noticed you take night photos quite a bit. Do you use front lighting or just flash of the camera or phone?
I take photo's at nite because sometimes that is when the mood strikes me to post a picture or update. I use just the flash of my 35mm. I take photo's in all sorts of light.

Bright sun and studio.

DSC_0089.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was reading thru this thread tonight. I have no idea how I stayed with it. This is a tough bunch.

I thought I would put up a recent photo (tonite) of the tree. Just to keep the thread complete. Pot by Tanibanchi

That's a really beautiful tree. You definitely do good work.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It dawns on me that while looking at this photo, I forgot to put the accent on the other side after the previous photo. I just changed out the plant for the beauty shot and forgot to compose the subject matter.....

I'm using this as a learning experience. It seems that no one caught it, or those that know have me on ignore, so that means I'm safe....:p:p:p

Top Bottom