Pyracantha problem

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Pyracantha have always been trouble-free for me, but now this. It comes on over night. I'm not doing anything different. Any ideas? P1020624.jpeg P1020623.jpeg P1020622.jpeg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't know...did a quick search...came across this. It mentions tip burn, and what associated with the cause. Which that could be tip burn the way it is effecting tips of leaf. ?

Root Rots (fungus): Tip burn and/or marginal burn of leaves, often followed by branch dieback or death of entire plant. Frequently associated with poorly drained or waterlogged soils. (See the sections on Cotton Root Rot and Mushroom Root Rot)
http://plantdiseasehandbook.tamu.edu/landscaping/shrubs/pyracantha/

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I had this occur to a Pyracantha 2 years ago and it recovered fully.

I had the feeling/impression it was somehow to do with a warm winter/cold spring - but that's just conjecture.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There's a bacterial disease called fireblight that can hit pyracantha. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_blight It's spread by pollinators. If this is it, the only option is to prune off the infected branches. I'd watch and see if it gets worse before hacking away at your tree.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would be hesitant to start removing branches if the tips are only effected. I would treat as Giga suggests...and watch it. If you notice issues with branching then reassess.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would treat with a systemic fungacide,disease control to be safe if it were mine,and make sure your soil isnt staying saturated.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
I had this occur to a Pyracantha 2 years ago and it recovered fully.

I had the feeling/impression it was somehow to do with a warm winter/cold spring - but that's just conjecture.
This weather pattern is typical here and always causes problems.

Bruce

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Thanks to all. I suspected root problems and will treat with a recent discovery of a new formulation found to be effective on stubborn fungus.
contains mono- and di-potassium salts of Phosphorous Acid* ..
http://www.yourplantdoctor.com/plant-doctor-systemic-fungicide/
And after a few weeks I'll repot it...it's time. I'd hate to loose this one. You've all seen it I think.
Sorry for the busy background on the two outside. Just quick dirty shots.
And I'd prefer a cream-ish pot FWIW.
Bruce
P1020300.JPG P1020475.jpeg P1020299.JPG

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Al and I talked about my pyracantha last week; he mentioned scab, and I ended up reasearching Fusarium wilt and determined that is what mine probably had; yellowing leaf veins, followed closely by branch death, isolated to one side of the tree, with pink fungal spores peeking up in the cracks of bark. It's soil-borne, active above 80f, during dry periods. I'm trying Mycostop as a recommended treatment, which is available on Amazon. Mine presented a little differently, but it's worth looking at. I'm definitely thinking yours is fungal, something interrupting water movement.
IMG_0611.JPG IMG_0612.JPG

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
There's a bacterial disease called fireblight that can hit pyracantha. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_blight It's spread by pollinators. If this is it, the only option is to prune off the infected branches. I'd watch and see if it gets worse before hacking away at your tree.
Yes, it's the word that puts fear in the hearts of we who grow pyracantha.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Al and I talked about my pyracantha last week; he mentioned scab, and I ended up reasearching Fusarium wilt and determined that is what mine probably had; yellowing leaf veins, followed closely by branch death, isolated to one side of the tree, with pink fungal spores peeking up in the cracks of bark. It's soil-borne, active above 80f, during dry periods. I'm trying Mycostop as a recommended treatment, which is available on Amazon. Mine presented a little differently, but it's worth looking at. I'm definitely thinking yours is fungal, something interrupting water movement.
View attachment 145833 View attachment 145834
Dry periods? What are those? It's a bleeding upland rainforest. "Mine presented a little differently." True. I don't think it's scab.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
So typically, after a warm sunny two month period from X-mas on, each day the forecast says " Today is forecast to be Much Cooler than yesterday. Maples have been re-potted and are all leafed out then the sun goes away for ever and the leaves get bigger. NO!!! Why do I even bother? :confused:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Dry periods? What are those? It's a bleeding upland rainforest. "Mine presented a little differently." True. I don't think it's scab.
Pretty sure mine is fusarium wilt, and it happened under 2x daily irrigation. Good luck with yours, it's a nice tree.

Top Bottom