Pyracantha restyle/ repot

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The first pic posted last... Silly computers!

So, I bough this a few months back at a 50% off sale at the best nursery in my area... And most expensive normally! Only cost me about $17 at 50% off and even then I almost did not buy it because I noticed some ugly big ole chunky white SCALE on it as I was checking out! I brought it to their attention and they took it in the back and sprayed it down with mineral oil for me... When AJ got home I meticulously removed every one I could see... It was mid- winter so it was hard to tell how health the tree was. Well, it was really healthy turns out! Getting rid of the scale helped I am sure, but it was popping new growth all over so I went ahead with a repot today. Might should have done it earlier, but in my experience once the buds start moving on these broad leaf evergreens, that is the time to go ahead with a repot. Some might disagree? Too late! I went pretty hard on the roots because I was removing some growth as well and I wanted to put this sucker in a Bonsai pot TODAY. Got about 3-4 root cuttings (who knows?) and a bunch of branches for cuttings... I already have a big one of a slightly different variety, so I am not a total loss if this one dies on me.

Pics here show the trees starting, and some root work... I have a finished pic as well but have to upload it to the laptop... These were taken on iPhone (quality is garbage) took one tonight with the real camera that might show a little better what I wound up with.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
DSC01033.JPG DSC01035.JPG DSC01034.JPG OK, here are some finished shots- the straight part of the trunk is NOT straight... just looks like it in @D as it is bending towards you from the front... There is a little side to side on it too, but not as dramatic as the lower trunk.... It needs some wire and work on the lower branches, needs to fill in.. Should be a nice one once it is grown out and everything. I cut the top back pretty hard, left the lower branches to try to balance the energy some and give them more light... Don't want to lose them!

The third image shows a little of the movement in the middle of the trunk.

Hoping I didn't go too hard on the roots, guess I should know in a couple days. I have heard that these guys are a little more squeamish about root work than a Maple or Elm may be.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I love the movement in the trunk. I am particulary attracted to trees that seem to embody the spirt of an animate being. This one has that.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Oh, and JFTR, the brown stuff healed on top of the soil is a top dressing of chopped sphagnum moss to encourage root growth. Trying to be as safe as possible with this little guy- he is in a shady spot under a leafed out Maple branch now.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I love the movement in the trunk. I am particulary attracted to trees that seem to embody the spirt of an animate being. This one has that.
It has a funky little wiggle, no doubt! I am pretty excited by it's potential. I was immediately attracted to the trunk the first time I saw it!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice find and nice work. Looking forward to the progression.
I actually went back looking at the same place to see if they had any good ones left for the new challenge, but they want like $35 for them when it isn't on sale and none were as cool as this one! Just didn't make sense to me....

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I actually went back looking at the same place to see if they had any good ones left for the new challenge, but they want like $35 for them when it isn't on sale and none were as cool as this one! Just didn't make sense to me....
That's a shame. :(

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I really wanted to wire some of the branches today too, but was scared I'd be putting too much stress on the tree... Prolly wait until late Summer/ Fall to do it now. If it grows like I want, I am going to work on the bottom half then. Should be a stunner in another year or two!

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It has a funky little wiggle, no doubt! I am pretty excited by it's potential. I was immediately attracted to the trunk the first time I saw it!

You should be excited it already is a charmer and will only get better. I have never seen a nice Pyracantha for sale as a pre-Bonsai. Usually they are overpriced sticks with a few berries or very expensive specimens.

ed

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Update from this morning: DSC02615.JPG

Thinking this Spring I will go in and remove two sections that comprise that little apex sticking up above the large foliage pad at the top. Would shorten the tree a bit and I think the full, rounded top would make it look older and more powerful... Any thoughts on that idea?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How do you feel about the proportion? Trunk size to height? Seems way too tall for me. I have to analyze things as I see them and I gather that by potting it in this show pot you are satisfied with its current proportions. Is this correct?

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
How do you feel about the proportion? Trunk size to height? Seems way too tall for me. I have to analyze things as I see them and I gather that by potting it in this show pot you are satisfied with its current proportions. Is this correct?
Hmmmm - seems like the height could be about half - here maybe (and then obviously growing/refining from there) :
image.jpeg

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well, clearly I do want to make it a little shorter, but I think it is Ok as a taller tree. I like the movement and the delicate feel... Besides that- This one is a very slow growing variety compared to others I have, so growing it to thicken the trunk would be downright futile, and chopping it low would produce a very large scar that would take forever to heal...

Are you thinking of something more in line with Colin's suggestion for this tree?

Brendan

Seed
Reaction score
I'd keep it taller, and I hope you removed those bits that were shooting up. I'd also thin out the crown and in particular remove the thickest branches there. You need to avoid the top thickening up much more (slow growers but they do thicken up where there are loads of leaves and thick branches). That should also give the lower branches a better chance to pull resources into their growth. But you should do this only once the tree is growing well in late spring/early summer.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd keep that one branch above Colins chop too.

A broadleaf evergreen?
As in......who cares about a scar?

Sorce

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'd keep it taller, and I hope you removed those bits that were shooting up. I'd also thin out the crown and in particular remove the thickest branches there. You need to avoid the top thickening up much more (slow growers but they do thicken up where there are loads of leaves and thick branches). That should also give the lower branches a better chance to pull resources into their growth. But you should do this only once the tree is growing well in late spring/early summer.
Sounds like we are looking at it the same way, thanks!

Top Bottom